A Look into Quibi and Its New Show ‘Murder House Flip’

A new show is coming soon to fulfill all of your satisfying house flip needs but with a twist. If you’ve ever wanted to get a closer look into the chilling tales of a murder alongside that renovation, then I have the show for you. It’s called, you guessed it, Murder House Flip. According to PopSugar, Josh Berman, executive producer of CSI, along with Penny Dreadful producer Chris King and non-fiction author and professor of forensic psychology Katherine Ramsland have created this intriguing new show. With a team of forensic specialists, spiritual healers and high-end renovation experts across the United States to take on these infamous homes.

According to a press release on Today, these houses have gritty and gruesome pasts so renovating them will be more challenging than your typical fixer-upper. Cleaning up dried blood, for example: challenging. Not to mention emotionally draining. However, Berman says that despite the challenges and hard work this project will bring, he hopes they can leave the houses fresher and brighter, as well as bring “healing and solace to families living in the aftermath of tragic events by transforming dark places into healthy spaces”. To add even more intrigue, not only is this unconventional show compelling for its unique subject, its streaming platform and methods are also very new.

Courtesy: Unsplash 

Murder House Flip will be released on Quibi which is an exclusively mobile streaming platform set to launch in April of 2020. The idea behind the service, according to their website, is that it is full of quick, brief bites. Murder House Flip and every other show that will be streamed from Quibi is going to contain episodes around ten minutes in length. According to The Los Angeles Times, Quibi was created in Hollywood by Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman as a streaming service tailored especially to the needs of Millennials, who are on their phones more than any other device. With just ten minutes per episode and the convenience of the shows being made to be watched on a mobile device, it seems perfect for their intended audience.

Courtesy: FierceVideo

While some are wondering if Quibi will be able to make a dent in the already crowded streaming service market, with competitors like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, but the app subscription costs $5 with ads and $8 without ads, which is in the average range for other streaming services. Vanity Fair says that the company has already raised $1 billion in funding from large investors such as Disney, Viacom, and WarnerMedia. Also, when asked, Katzenberg has repeatedly insisted that Quibi is not simply a competitor for these platforms or a substitute for television because it is so different in its purpose. While only 10 percent of people watch streaming services like Netflix and Hulu on their phones, according to Vanity Fair, Quibi is only mobile and Katzenberg believes it will be as commonly used as when we spend time watching videos on Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat.  

In April of 2020 we will have the option for another, yet also unique, streaming platform and it is bringing us murder house renovations.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Dana is a senior double majoring in media/communication studies and editing, writing, and media at Florida State University. When she isn't writing, she spends her free time hanging out with her friends, reading, and running her photography business. You can check it out here: @danasardinaphotography
Her Campus at Florida State University.