Close-up of electric guitar
Close-up of electric guitar
Addison T. Mathis Photography

Listen Local: 3 Tallahassee-Based Artists You Need in Your Spotify Library

When we think of record labels, we usually think of the “Big Three,” aka Universal, Sony and Warner. But did you know that Tallahassee is home to a thriving record label of its own? Cat Family Records formed in Feb. 2016 as a non-profit community record label. 

“Most independent artists work full-time jobs alongside their creative pursuits, and success can be limited by financial barriers unique to the music industry,” their mission statement says. By offering affordable services such as talent booking, brand consulting and low-cost recording and production sessions, Cat Family aims to make music an accessible career for aspiring local artists.

Speaking of local artists, the Tallahassee music scene is thriving with great musicians of all genres and backgrounds. Here are three Tally musicians you should give a listen to! 

Musicians playing in a dark concert venue
Addison T. Mathis Photography

Bandanna

Okay, this one is technically cheating since Bandanna is now based in Atlanta, but the four-piece band had its start in Tallahassee! Singer and guitarist Anna Griffith signed with Cat Family as a soloist in 2018, adding Tim Holder on bass, Nick Bell on drums and Mason Palanti on keys a few months later. Bandanna has been a musical mainstay at The Wilbury in Tallahassee, opening for artists such as SALESBRONCHO and The Happy Fits. With a “dreamy and nostalgic” sound that’s both spirited and sincere, Griffith’s strong acoustic roots can be found in all three tracks on their Spotify page. Why the extra N in Bandanna’s name? Because they’re “a band with Anna that wears bandanas.”

Genre: Indie pop

Must-Listen Track: Daylight

Watch Now: Fire Escape” (Official Music Video)

Upcoming Projects: An album titled uncertain/ty coming out this year. They say the album will tackle “everything from bicycles to anxiety to pet fish.”

Follow them on Instagram!

Musicians playing rock music
Addison T. Mathis Photography

Dorms

Don’t overthink the name; these guys came up with it after living in the same Florida State Universitydorm together (Cawthon, to be exact) during the Summer of 2018. The band currently features Elijah Ford on drums, Josh DaCosta on bass, and Ethan Mercado and Edgar Pino-Atencio on guitar and vocals. Their new single “Matriarch” just dropped last week, and their2019 EP Brood has a ton of eclectic musical influences packed into just under 20 minutes of material. According to their bio on Cat Family’s website, their melting pot of sound is intentional: “Each band member brings their own influences and ideas together in the songwriting process to create a meaningful piece of art.” Their goal as a DIY band is to encourage other artists to create music despite the lack of resources they may encounter.

Genre: Alternative/garage rock

Must-Listen Track: Lake Jessup Drive

Watch Now: Moon Prayer (Music Video)

Upcoming Projects: An Long Play (LP) currently in progress! Influences for this new project include Pile, Young Jesus, Sonic Youth, Queens of the Stone Age and Gillian Carter.

Follow them on Instagram!

Girl in white shirt playing guitar and singing
Addison T. Mathis Photography

Emily Gabriel

In today’s stressful world, Emily Gabriel’s gentle, soothing voice is like a breath of fresh air. “I grew up loving Ingrid Michaelson because she has a soft voice like I do, and I found that inspiring and comforting,” she says of her musical influences, which also include Haley Hendricks and Adrianne Lenker. “Most of my songs center around the women in my life…writing about them comes easily to me.” Even though only one of her songs is currently available to stream online, she’s no stranger to the Tally music scene; she opened for Laura Stevenson’s concert at The Wilbury in Jan. 2019 and she’s also a familiar face at The Bark, Black Dog Café and Calvin’s.

Genre: Indie folk

Must-Listen Track: Nana Banana

Upcoming Projects: An EP coming this year!

Follow her on Instagram!

All photos courtesy of Addison T. Mathis Photography.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Grace Hayes is a senior Choral Music Education major at Florida State University. She hails from Chicago, IL and mentions it at least once in every conversation. She loves cats, writing, drawing, and spreading the good word about Culver's cheese curds to her out-of-touch Florida friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.