How it Feels to be the Single One in Your Group of Friends, as told by NBC’s Community

We’ve all been there. You’re single, but your closest friends are in committed relationships. They’re super happy together and everything’s rainbows and butterflies.

You even catch them doing things like this:

And it kind of makes you want to throw up a bit.

But you love your friends and like their significant others, so you accept their invitations to hang out. The night usually starts off fine, and you have a lot of fun.

But a few drinks in, you start feeling like the dreaded third wheel…

So you awkwardly fiddle with your phone, checking Twitter and Instagram for new updates, even though you know there won’t be any. You just checked two minutes ago. This prompts your friends to ask:

So you go chat with some other people at the party, and come back with a new drink in hand. Your friends look at you and say:

And your response:

Your friends offer to set you up on a date, and you agree because, well…

One of your friends sets up a double date with a guy her boyfriend knows. After much Facebook stalking, you’re worried it won’t go well. Your friends assure you that he’s a nice guy, but you’ve convinced yourself otherwise.

But a few hours before the date, you’re freaking out like:

You end up going, and the whole time it feels like your friends are trying so hard to get you two to fall in love and live happily ever after. 

Somewhere in the middle of all this, you realize it’s perfectly okay to be the only one who’s single, because you get to do whatever you want!

And your friends love you just as much as they always have, even though they might have less time for movie nights and Ben and Jerry’s.

Keep on being awesome, collegiettes!

Alecia Jo is a senior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Public Relations and Editing, Writing & Media. Her interests include writing, film, and theatre. She enjoys getting to know people and hearing their stories."My favorite thing in the whole world is listening to someone talk about a subject they're truly passionate about. They just light up with excitement. That energy is contagious, and I try to put the same amount of passion into everything I do."
Her Campus at Florida State University.