Career

How AOC Is Encouraging Political Engagement in a Country Dominated by Social Media

Yesterday marked the deadline for voter registration in Florida for the 2020 presidential election, if you hadn’t already been made aware by the influx of posts flooding your social media feeds urging you to register. That being said, this year has proven time and time again what an incredible influence and power social media holds over the ways we communicate and unify today. The COVID-19 pandemic has pushed us into a largely digitized way of living and interacting with one another—something that could turn into the new normal.

Progressives like Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have become increasingly aware of ways to utilize these platforms to encourage engagement in the political sphere, particularly among younger audiences. Since winning the Democratic Party’s primary election for New York’s 14th congressional district on June 26, 2018, AOC has drawn national attention as the youngest woman to serve in the United States Congress. She is known for her blunt approach to responding to congress members, and her fiery candidness doesn’t stop at the Capitol—she often takes to Twitter and Instagram to personally answer questions, address current events, and engage with young voters. Still a fresh face in the world of politics, Cortez may just be starting out but it feels like she is quickly taking over.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Photo by Ståle Grut / NRKbeta distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license
Just three days ago, I received an Instagram notification that AOC had started a livestream, which I clicked on out of curiosity. With little to no network disruptions, I was able to freely watch Cortez speak to protestors from National ADAPT right outside the Capitol in Washington D.C. and read how viewers were responding to the conversation in the ongoing live chatroom. I was in awe of the authenticity and accessibility this platform was providing. With her phone recording in one hand and her face mask on, Cortez was speaking clearly (as she usually does) making eye contact, addressing questions that were brought up to her, and asking what else she could do to help—ultimately amplifying the voices for their cause. 

Whether they agree with her or not, it seems that everyone perks up when AOC speaks. Her ability to capture the attention of a room with her composure and straightforwardness is an enormous part of her rapid growth as a reputable and trustworthy member of congress. Her Instagram account (@aoc) reflects just that and is filled with helpful videos, graphics and photos. Be sure to watch out for her stories, in which she will occasionally post a submission box for questions that she patiently takes the time to answer. 

HCM Design
Additionally, now that you are (hopefully) registered to vote, here is what else you should know:

Vice-Presidential Debate (Oct. 7)

Where? Kingsbury Hall at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City

Who’s the moderator? Susan Page, USA Today’s Washington bureau chief 

Tune in! News networks will be streaming, and my go-to is NBC

Second Presidential Debate (Oct. 15)

Where? Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts in Miami, Florida

Who’s the moderator? Steve Scully, C-SPAN’s political editor

Third Presidential Debate (Oct. 22)

Where? Belmont University in Nashville

Who’s the moderator? Kristen Welker, NBC News White House correspondent 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.