Getting Your Spring Break Body: Diet Trends to Try or Skip

Whole 30

This 30 day program acts as a hard reset. The goal is to change cravings and build better habits in order to improve focus, energy levels and sleep habits among many other things. Participants claim to see improvements in a number of lifestyle-related diseases conditions, from bipolar disorder to endometriosis to skin conditions. So what does this seemingly magic program involve? Cutting out any form of added sugar, alcohol (even for cooking), grains, legumes (which means no peanut butter or soy products), dairy, carrageenan, MSG and sulfites.

Skip it.

Despite potential benefits, this diet is strict and complicated. Finding compliant restaurant foods and on-the-go snacks is nearly impossible, so the program isn’t great for us students with busy schedules.   

Courtesy: The Kitchn

Vegan

Although “vegan” isn’t synonymous with “healthy” (just because your cookies are vegan doesn’t mean they’re good for you), vegan diets typically include more whole grains and fruits and vegetables. One of the most common misconceptions about veganism is that it’s impossible to get enough protein without meat or breaking bank. While not necessary, meat substitutes and vegan protein powder offer alternative sources of protein, and smart shopping can keep you within a budget.

Try it!

It might seem like a huge change, but a vegan diet is a great way to encourage healthier choices. Helping out animals and the environment never hurts either!

Courtesy: Pinterest

Dairy Free

Ditching dairy helps with weight loss, bloating acne, congestion and digestive problems. By only eliminating or cutting back on one type of food, this diet is more manageable than others.

Try it.

With soy, almond and coconut milk, there are plenty of alternatives to dairy products, making the transition more accessible.

Courtesy: Pinterest

Gluten free

Gluten-free diets eliminate the protein gluten, usually to treat celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Recently, the diet has become a superficial trend to help people lose weight or decrease bloating.

Skip it.

Unless you have an intolerance or sensitivity to gluten, there’s really no reason to completely cut it from your diet.

Courtesy: Nutrition Secrets

Paleo

On this diet, participants only consume foods that our ancestors ate, including meat, fish, nuts and produce and cutting out refined sugar, dairy and processed foods. While the diet is popular and could help with weight loss, it’s difficult to sustain.

Skip it.

Similar to Whole30, this diet has many potential benefits but is too restrictive to stick to over time.

Courtesy: Youth Friends

Detox Diets or Juice Cleanses

These diets consist of strictly juice, water, fruits and vegetables, causing participants to run into nutritional deficiencies, according to nutrition expert and author Pamela Nisevich Bede.  Weight lost in the process is usually water weight and is temporary, as these diets are never sustainable.

Skip it.

While incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet is always beneficial, restricting yourself can lead to nutritional deficiencies. Remember that calories are necessary to staying healthy—and to looking good!

Courtesy: Everyday Health

DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet

By encouraging foods high in calcium, protein, fiber, and potassium, this plan aims to prevent and lower high blood pressure. Simply swap red meat, high-calorie foods and salt for fruits, veggies, lean protein and whole grains.

Overall Consensus: Try it!

It ranked number one on the best diabetes diets list and healthy eating, so this diet is worth a shot.

I am currently a junior at Florida State University studying Editing, Writing and Media and Communications. I'm passionate about writing and using my voice to raise awareness for social issues and to connect with others. In my free time, I'm probably baking cookies or binge-watching Friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.