Game On FSU! Relay for Life Works for a Cure

The American Cancer Society is an organization that needs no introduction. The amount that they have done for cancer research, education, advocacy, and service is monumental. Of course, one of their most popular fundraising efforts is Relay for Life. With more than 5,000 Relay for Life events taking place across 20 countries, the widespread support of Relay has made it more than just a fundraising event. It’s a way for people of all backgrounds to come together, remember those we have lost, support one another, and fight for a brighter tomorrow in which we hope cancer will no longer be an issue affecting so many.

Last year, Relay for Life at FSU raised about $225,000 for the American Cancer Society. We currently have the largest Relay of Life event in the state of Florida and the 4th largest Relay for Life event in the nation! That says a lot about the overwhelming support and care us Noles give those in need.

From April 11-12, Relay for Life at FSU will be hosting its event at the old intramural fields on campus. For those who might not know, the address for the fields is 1007 W. St. Augustine Street, Tallahassee, FL. Relay for Life will run from 6 p.m. on April 11 to 6 a.m. on April 12.

Relay will open with a Survivors Lap, a time when cancer survivors are invited to circle the track and when all attendees celebrate the victories they have achieved over this disease. After this, Relay will transition into the Luminaria Ceremony at 9 p.m. once it’s dark. Bring tissues for this, folks. Candles are lit inside individual bags, each marked with the name of a loved one that has been affected by cancer. Speakers open up to the crowd and share stories about loved ones. This year, there will be a slide show honoring families and friends who have struggled with cancer.   

If you’d like to honor your loved ones during the Luminaria Ceremony at Florida State University’s Relay for Life, you can still send in your pictures with a brief description, such as, “In honor of/in memory of…” to fsurelayforlife.ceremonies@gmail.com.

Being a part of Relay for Life at FSU is inspirational and life changing. You don’t want to miss it! Before the big event, show your support of FSU Relay by participating in the purple mustache campaign! Purple is the official color of cancer, so I mustache you a question…how could you resist spreading awareness and support with this goofy approach? Cut out the purple mustache below and take a silly photo with it. Then make it your profile picture and watch as the rest of FSU sports purple mustaches too!

To sign up for Relay for Life at FSU or make a donation, visit http://relayforlife.org/fsufl. You also don’t need to be a part of an organization to participate! Relay for Life at FSU has an individual team that anyone can join called “For Every Nole Who Can’t.”

Connect with other fellow Noles who are participating in the event! When talking about Relay for Life at FSU on social media, use the hashtag #GameOnFSU.

You can follow FSU Relay for Life on Twitter at @FSURFL or Instagram at fsurelayforlife. Like the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/fsurelayforlife. There you can follow along as we countdown the days to the event through our “10 Days of Relay.”

Together we can make a difference!

Alecia Jo is a senior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Public Relations and Editing, Writing & Media. Her interests include writing, film, and theatre. She enjoys getting to know people and hearing their stories."My favorite thing in the whole world is listening to someone talk about a subject they're truly passionate about. They just light up with excitement. That energy is contagious, and I try to put the same amount of passion into everything I do."
Her Campus at Florida State University.