FSU Women’s Basketball: What a Sweet (& Elite) Journey It Has Been

If you are looking for a group of strong women to look up to, look no further! The Florida State Women’s Basketball team consists of the toughest, most badass, and most dedicated women I have ever laid eyes on. They have worked their butts off this entire season and their hard work paid off for them. I have never seen a group of women who are so selfless and devoted to something. If there ever were a prime example for the saying, “There’s no “I” in team,” it would be these women; each individual is unique with her own special skill set, but when they all come together they create an amazing team. They all support each other so much and you can truly tell within a few minutes into any game that they are there for each other, both on the court and off. It was easy for me to see that they were more than just teammates, but rather a family. I believe this to be one of the reasons as to why they made it to the Elite Eight this year and accomplished so much in FSU history.

We must all take a moment to appreciate this damn (HOT) awesome picture of this team!

Source: Seminoles

The first and last time the FSU Women’s Basketball team has made it to the Elite Eight was in 2010 with a then record-breaking 29 wins for Florida State. In 2010 and 2011, the highest seed the women’s basketball team had received was a 3-seed. This year the women’s basketball team far exceeded any expectations that were set for them. They made it to not only the Sweet Sixteen, but also the Elite Eight, defeating tough opponents within their conference. They received a number 2 seed, which is now the highest in school history, as they entered the tournament. Their overall record for this year is 32-5 giving them also the most wins in FSU Women’s Basketball history. They are 12-2 within the ACC this season and were undefeated (aka did not lose a SINGLE game) at home as they held a 15-0 record. If that doesn’t bring more fans out to the games next year, I honestly don’t know what will. The FSU Women’s Basketball team has consistently made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament for the past three years, this one being the farthest they have made it since 2010.

Coach Sue should be everyone’s role model.

Source: Seminoles

FINAL RESULTS: (If you don’t know, now you know)

Round 1- FSU 91 Alabama State 42

Round 2- FSU 65 FGCU 47

Rounds 3 (Sweet Sixteen) – FSU 66 Arizona State 65

Round 4 (Elite Eight) – FSU 74 South Carolina 80

Source: Seminoles

No matter what the end result was, this team should feel a sense of pride that most people may never get a chance to experience. They put every single ounce of what they had in them into everything that they did, and at the end of the day that is all that really matters. The fact that these women can say “Yeah, I made it to the Elite Eight (nbd or anything)” is something I find truly amazing. Watching them throughout the season pour their heart and soul into every single game only inspired me to do the same in my everyday life, and it should do the same for you!

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.