Brandon Breaks down BCS and Shares His Seminole Pride

Our campus cutie showing off his Seminole pride!

I’ve known Brandon Kron for a while now. We met our freshman year of college in the damp basement of beloved Dorman. Our personalities seemed to clash quite often, but we’ve managed to stay friends through it all. He is off the charts funny and the only person I know that can be as raunchy as he is and still be a perfect sweetheart; he combines the two surprisingly well. And he’s a dedicated Seminole Fan. He’s early to games, been a fan since birth, and knows the team like the back of his hand. Check out our interview here and discover what you’ve been missing! (And ladies, he will cook you the best dinner ever ;) )

(HerCampus): What is your year?

(Brandon Kron): Senior

(HC): What is your major?

(BK): Criminology and Criminal Justice

(HC): What do you love most about FSU?

(BK): That is a hard question because I love everything about FSU. I love the friends I’ve made and the people I’ve met. I love the athletics that are associated with the University. I love the college atmosphere and the overall sense of happiness and fun. I love campus, Landis Green, Westcott fountain, Landis fountain, Doak Campbell, and the Legacy walk. I love Mrs. Killings and she loves me too. Heck, I even love Dorman Hall because even if it is moldy I still had a great freshman year there. I even love my professors and the classes I take (well, sometimes). I love everything about Florida State and I am so appreciative that I was able to spend four years here. I think any person that has stepped foot on FSU’s campus and called themselves a Seminole would tell you the same thing. All of us are proud to be Seminoles and we wouldn’t change it for anything. So I don’t love just one single thing about FSU, I love everything… actually, it’s the girls. Yeah, the hot girls are what I love most. GO NOLES! (ha-ha-ha Brandon)

(HC): Did you always love the Seminoles?

(BK): I’ve been a fan of FSU ever since I was a little kid. I remember my dad boasting about how Bobby Bowden was the best college football coach and how his team could beat any team any given Saturday. If it was a Saturday in the fall, we were watching the Florida State game. There were a couple years in the early two thousands where it was hard to watch and there probably were some swear words yelled during the games, but I still loved FSU. Needless to say I didn’t have to think too hard when I picked where I wanted to go to school.

(HC): Do you remember your first home game?

(BK): Of course! It was in 2010 and we were playing Samford. In high school I would go to the football games in full body paint so I thought it would be fun to do it for college too. A buddy and I teamed up in garnet and gold colored paint and a photographer from the Associated Press took our picture outside the stadium. The photo made it on to the ESPN website. A copy of it is still floating around the Internet somewhere if you do some digging. We ended up winning the game by like 50 and I was stoked about my five minutes of fame!

We found you!! Image from latimes.com

(HC): What was the most memorable game that you’ve been to in your four years here?

(BK): Definitely last year’s Clemson game. Calling it a huge game would be an understatement. It was our biggest game since we played the number one ranked Oklahoma Sooners the year before. Since Clemson is in our division we had to win if we wanted to play in the ACC Championship game. The week leading up to the game was crazy; College Gameday even came to campus. I remember how loud everyone at Gameday screamed when Corso picked the Noles to beat Clemson. And the game itself was even louder! There were some many people packed into Doak hoping for a Seminole victory (that game even broke the Doak Campbell Stadium attendance record until this year’s Miami game). It was such a back and forth game and FSU held on for a victory in large part due to our QB EJ Manuel who played probably his best game as a Florida State Seminole. After that game we moved up to number 3 in the country and eventually won the ACC championship for the first time since 2005 and also beat Northern Illinois in the BCS Orange Bowl.

(HC): Who do you think is the strongest player on our team?

(BK): The easy answer is Jameis Winston. That guy is a stud. Easily the best QB I’ve seen wear a FSU jersey in many years. That’s the good thing about this team though; all of our players are great. We have a Heisman trophy winning quarterback. Our receiving core of Kelvin Benjamin, Kenny Shaw, Rashad Greene, and Nick O’Leary is probably the best FSU has had in recent years. Devonta Freeman and James Wilder Jr. are absolute athletic freaks. And our defense, statistically, is the best defense in the nation with help from guys like Lamarcus Joyner, Telvin Smith, Timmy Jernigan, Mario Edwards Jr., Christian Jones, PJ Williams, and Jalen Ramsey.  So I think everyone on this team is great. But if we are talking pure physical strength it’s definitely Nick O’Leary. He absolutely trucked that Clemson defender. Seriously, the guy was hit by a d*$% bus and he is still walking.

(HC): Who do you think we’ll have to watch out for on Auburn’s team? What do you think will happen? Do you think they’ll pull a miracle play out like they did against Alabama?

(BK): Going into the Conference Championship games, I was absolutely dreading the thought that Ohio State would lose and we would end up playing Auburn in the National Championship. Auburn has won two games on miracle plays (one against Georgia and one against Alabama) and I wanted nothing to do with them. But of course Ohio State resorted back to what their head coach Urban Meyer (former UF head coach) knows best…. losing. So now we have to play against Auburn. Not a problem, I’m confident in my Seminoles. That being said, Auburn has a nasty rushing offense. Statistically, they have the best rushing offense in all of college football. Their quarterback, Nick Marshall, and their running back, Tre Mason, are very talented. Their rushing game is definitely what our defense has to watch out for. Other than that, Auburn doesn’t compare to FSU. They basically have no pass game but their defense is good. I think FSU wins because we have a more balanced team. Our defense isn’t going to let Auburn rush for 500 yards like they did against Missouri. Auburn is going to have to open up their passing game and their defense is going to have to play great against the talented Noles offense. Even with that happening, the Seminoles will win.

(HC): Have you ever been to College Gameday? Tell me about that. What was it like?

(BK): I’ve been to College Gameday twice. Once my sophomore year for the Oklahoma game and once my junior year for the Clemson game. And to put it shortly, Gameday is awesome! There are just so many fans all crammed in one place singing the FSU fight song and doing the chop all while waiting for Corso to put on that Seminole headdress! The first time I went, Corso picked Oklahoma to win and boy did he get booed. Of course, Oklahoma probably was the better team and they did end up winning the game. But the next year, Corso picked FSU and all of us went crazy! That was the biggest game I have been to and it was awesome to have Gameday there for it. The best part of Gameday has to be the signs; they are always so funny and clever. I actually have a funny story about my first Gameday experience. A buddy and I went together and each brought along a “Viva la Stool” sign to show off our favorite blog. We wanted so badly for the camera to spot our signs so they could get on TV. But we didn’t know that people bring poles to make their signs stand higher and caught by the camera easier. So my buddy put me on his shoulders so the camera could see our sign for a split second. My friend started to drop me and I accidently spilled my beer on the couple in front of us. I swear the guy wanted to kill me… whoops.

(HC): Who do you think will win the BCS game? (Even though that’s a given)

(BK): Hands down Florida State. Our offense is too good and our defense is solid. We are an all around great football team and our players feed off each other so well. I don’t think there are many teams that could beat this Florida State team. Final score prediction: FSU 150, Auburn negative 8. In all seriousness, I think it will start out close but in the end I think FSU has it. We are an 8-point favorite, and I think we can easily win by 8 points. So if you are into sports betting, FSU at -8 is a sure lock, book it! Final score: FSU 48 Auburn 31.

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."