If you know me, you know I am a huge foodie. Most notably, I would consider myself an expert in bagels and sushi. Both very random, I know. I’m originally from South Florida, so I grew up with a lot of food options—ranging from seafood to good ol’ Italian food. When I moved to Tallahassee for college, I was in for a shock. There weren’t nearly as many food options up here as there are in South Florida. Nonetheless, I was determined to do my digging on Tallahassee eats. While there are certainly less food options in Tallahassee, I have still found plenty of hot spots that I now go to on the regular. 

1. For a Study Coffee Date Session: Catalina Café 

full restaurant with counter showing
Photo by Rod Long from Unsplash

I found Catalina Café last year, and let me tell you, their lattes are incredible. As you sip the latte, you will taste a flavorful rich espresso. They also have a range of dairy-free milk to choose from like oat, almond and soy. Out of all the bagel places I’ve tried in Tallahassee, I enjoy theirs the most (and I’m a bagel snob). Not only do they have an excellent menu, but they also have a cute indoor ambiance and an outdoor patio. This café is perfect to study at on a sunny afternoon.

2. Sushi and Asian Food: Little Masa

This is my ultimate holy grail. I eat at Little Masa at least twice a week. Their sushi is fresh and affordable, and they have a huge range of non-sushi options to choose from including lo mein and fried rice dishes, ramen bowls and pad thai. It’s also in the heart of college town, so afterward you can hit up other bars and shops. 

3. Americana: Table 23

This restaurant might be a tad expensive for college students, but their food is delicious and ranges from Southern comfort food to classic American food. However, what I like most about Table 23 is the vibe. It’s very friendly, inviting and warm. If you’ve ever watched The Vampire Diaries, it reminds me a lot of Mystic Grill in the show. The only drawback is that they have limited hours.

4. Late-Night Pizza: Gumby’s 

We always have those cravings for a late-night pizza after a night out and Gumby’s is the perfect solution. By no means is their pizza New York-worthy, but it will fulfill your pizza craving after a night out at The Strip or Bullwinkle’s (it’s right across from both). Their hours are great for night-owls and partiers because they close at 2:30 a.m. on the weekends. 

5. Underrated Breakfast Spot: The Lunchbox

If the line is too long at Keke’s or at Maple Street, there is always another solid option for breakfast: The Lunchbox. Located off East Tennessee Street, this quaint restaurant will serve all of your breakfast needs. Not only is it affordable (most meals range from $5 to $10), it’s also open until 2:15 p.m. every day, making it the perfect option for people who love to sleep in (I can attest based on personal experience.). 

6. Cuban Food: Gordo’s 

Ah yes, a classic in Tallahassee. I am by no means an expert in Cuban food, but I can attest that Gordo’s is a solid staple in your Tallahassee diet. They always have drink specials going on and their enchiladas are *chef’s kiss*. 

I am still on the hunt for a solid traditional Italian restaurant—you know, the deep dishes and garlic bread on the table. If you know of any, you can find me on Instagram @giformica. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Gianna is a Junior at Florida State University. She currently studies Social Science Education. Her passions include reading books, writing, and occasionally crying in the shower. Find her on Instagram: @giformica
Her Campus at Florida State University.