7 Road Trips Every FSU Student Should Take

Updated Published

Your guide to exploring northern Florida 

As the cold weather fades and the warmth sets in, there’s no better time to grab your friends and take a trip somewhere new. The state of Florida offers so many beautiful sights and adventures if you just look in the right places. Whether you’re looking for a tranquil weekend on the beach or an exciting experience with friends, you can find it all. Check out these gorgeous sites that are perfect for a small weekend trip or a spring break vacation.

1. Ichetucknee Springs State Park

Drive: 2 hours and 10 minutes

Be sure to pack your bathing suit so you can fully experience the beauty of these springs. The water is exceptionally clear – and freezing. During my spring break trip last year, the water wasn’t exactly warm, but it was definitely a refreshing experience for my friends and me. You can swim or walk around to admire the colors and vibrancy of the area.

2. Seaside Beach

Drive: 2 hours and 30 minutes

Being from Miami, I was amazed at how empty and calm this beach was when my roommates and I took a trip to it at the beginning of the year. This is the perfect place to go if you just want a relaxing time by the ocean. You can just bring a book and a Pub Sub and enjoy the sound of the waves while getting a nice tan. There is also a nice little plaza right by it with different markets and restaurants.

3. Providence Canyon State Park

Drive: 2 hours and 35 minutes

Located in Lumpkin, Georgia, these canyons are a stunning sight. My roommates and I traveled up there for an afternoon and explored the area on our own. However, the park does offer guided tours and other events. There are several miles of hiking you can complete and the views are something you can’t miss.

4. Canyon Zip Line and Canopy Tours

Drive: 2 hours and 40 minutes

I recently discovered this company located in Ocala, and I am dying to try it out. They offer everything from kayak tours to horseback tours to zip lining. It would be best to book a reservation ahead of time as there are limited seats/times for every activity. This is definitely the place to go if you’re seeking a nice local adventure with friends or family.

5. St. Marks Lighthouse

Drive: 1 hour

This is a fun trip to take if you’re into history or just looking for a shorter trip to take outside of campus. People say it’s a wonderful spot to view sunrises or sunsets and is a perfect gateway to nature. It is the second oldest lighthouse in the state of Florida and it holds a lot of history with it if you’re interested in learning more about that.

6. Wakulla Springs

Drive: 30 minutes

I took a trip to this at the beginning of fall semester, and it was a great place to hang out with friends. You can swim in the water, jump into it, and even see manatees. There is so much nature – you could have a picnic or a volleyball game or just bring your dog for a fun time. Not to mention the delicious ice cream you can get at the old-fashioned soda fountain where they serve milkshakes, malts, hot dogs and so much more.

7. St. Augustine

Drive: 3 hours and 20 minutes

One of the longer trips I’ll mention is the one to St. Augustine. It’s probably the one place almost every Florida resident has taken a trip to at one point or another. As the oldest city in Florida, it was founded in September of 1565 and, of course, has several examples of historic architecture, beaches, and many recreational activities.

Her Campus at Florida State University.