Help your Gay Best Friend, Promise to Try Modern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Franklin chapter.

In October and November of 2011, at least five Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Trans people were set on fire around the world — not a very modern thing to do. In the first five weeks of 2012, at least five LGBT youth committed suicide as a result of anti-gay bullying. My friends and I have created a new business called Try Modern. We don’t believe people decide to torture or torment gay people the moment they decide “gay is bad.” Try Modern focuses on those who “hate” gays by encouraging them to keep their beliefs if they desire, but do so without violence. We don’t believe we can change the way people think, but we can change how they react to thought.

The messages we will work to spread include:

• We accept that you don’t accept us. Let’s continue peacefully.
  • Hate without violence.
  • Have your opinion, but keep your hands to yourselves.

Try Modern uses events like the numerous LGBT teen suicides every year and the growing number of homicides to show what hatred can manifest into. Our thinking is this: if people see the permanently damaging things that others like them have done, they’ll be less likely to do those things themselves in the future and may possibly consider toleration of their fellow humans. Try Modern will not tell anyone to entirely lose their negative feelings towards LGBT. We strive for the most realistic impact possible.

We are also working on public activities to reinforce the purpose of Try Modern in offline environments. Our offline endeavors will be filmed and shared so others will know how to organize the same activities.

What we have learned so far in the process of making this website and offline project happen is that a lot of people believe there needs to be a more aggressive approach to building tolerance and equality. Many people don’t trust self-empowerment alone to keep their family members and friends alive, but no one does anything about it. Until now.

Please visit http://trymodern.com, like us on Facebook, follow us on Tumblr, and check out our YouTube channel. All social networking links are available on the Try Modern website. We’re a grassroots movement, and we need you to help us help the world. Show your support by going online, now.

Thanks.
Love, your gay best friend,
Tim

Kati Graber is a junior at Franklin College and is pursuing a Journalism/Public Realations major with a minor in sociology. She is very excited to be one of the two co-founders of Her Campus Franklin College! Kati is a member of the Indiana Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Phi and is also part of the school's student entertainment board. When she manages to find free time she often spends it hanging out with her sisters, shopping or reading a good book.