This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Hold on to your socks comic book lovers. We’ve got YET ANOTHER new TV series based on fan-favorite Superman. This one however, is different. For one thing, Superman is not the main character. The main character goes by the name Seg-El and he is the Man of Steel’s grandfather. As you may know, the planet Krypton exploded when Kal-El (baby Superman) was sent to Earth. Instead of focusing on Superman, this show decides to give Superman fans a rare look into the world he came from and his ancestors from the House of El. The show takes place 200 years before Superman’s time and tells the story of his grandfather’s fight for justice and survival.

Photo Source

The pilot episode premiered on Wednesday the 21st of March at 10pm and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action is not over-done and the storyline sucks you in immediately. The planet Krypton is a visual masterpiece. When we first meet our protagonist, he is nine years old and is attending the trial of his grandfather. When he refuses to pledge allegiance to the new order, he is found guilty of treason and sentenced to death. The surviving family members are stripped of their rank and the El name is dragged into the mud. Fourteen years later, we see that Seg is reckless, yet still has a strict moral compass. We get introduced to several new faces with familiar names such as Seg’s love interest Lyta Zod (como se dice… Star-crossed?). A mysterious time traveler from Earth named Adam Strange comes to warn Seg about another time traveler that seeks to destroy Krypton to prevent Superman from being born. He gives him a crystal with the House of El glyph engraved on it and tells him to find the fortress then he proceeds to vanish into thin air. At the end of the episode we get our first look at the villain known as Brainiac. Seg also receives incontrovertible proof that his grandson does indeed exist.

If you’re a Superman fan, I highly recommend this show. It started off strong and if the trailers are any indication, they’ve got no plans of slowing down anytime soon. Did you watch it? If so, what did you think? Reach out to me on Instagram or Twitter and let me know your thoughts!

Cover Photo

Soy Dominicana. I love movies, quotes, and everything to do with Marvel and DC. Instagram: arlenys_b Twitter: @Arlen_Burgos