Why Kim Kardashian Is Actually a Badass Feminist Icon!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

If you would have asked me a few weeks ago, even a few days ago, about what I thought of Kim Kardashian then I would have told you that I don’t really have much of an opinion on her.  All I really knew about her was that she has a reality show with her family and that she recently had a baby with her partner Kanye West.

It’s fair to say that I didn’t know anything about Kim Kardashian and I had just lumped her into the category of “talentless celebrities” inside my mind. However, I recently came across some new information about Kim that has completely altered my opinion and corrected some of the ignorant assumptions I had previously made about her. So if, like me, you don’t see what the big deal is with Kim Kardashian, then let me enlighten you!

Firstly, as most of you are probably vaguely aware, Kim not so long ago had a very public 72 day marriage with someone called Kris Humphries and after the couple filed for divorce, the press ridiculed her for her incredibly short relationship. However, after her marriage publicly fell apart, instead of succumbing to the criticism she was receiving she instead donated twice the value of her wedding gifts ($200,000) to the Dream Foundation (a foundation set up to make dreams come true for adults suffering from terminal conditions) because she felt guilty that her marriage didn’t work out! What did Kris Humphries do after the divorce? Nothing.

Secondly, Kim gives 10% of all her income to charity, which is the recommended amount for anyone to donate, and considering that she is said to be worth over $40 million, that amount definitely adds up! A few of the charities that she is known to donate to and support include:

As well as both of these points, another reason why Kim K is definitely a feminist icon is how, despite her rise to fame initially being because her ex betrayed her trust and publicly shamed her, she turned this negative attention into a multi-million dollar industry for her family, and gave them a platform to further their careers. And even recently during her pregnancy, the press again tried to shame Kim when she put on weight whilst she literally had a baby growing inside of her. But again despite this, she carried on doing what was best for her and her baby’s health, and continued to eat right for her daughter.

Hopefully, even though these are only a few small points they should demonstrate that Kim Kardashian is in no way “just another mindless celebrity”, but a powerful business woman and a feminist to look up to!

Tara / Birmingham & Cornwall / 19 "For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.”