Campus Celebrity: Katie Duncan ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Sadly, College Fashion Week is coming to an end, with their most recent show taking place in New York City. Her Campus Fairfield was honored to have two of our team members (Victoria Asmus and Katie Duncan) walk in the Boston show, and NYC show, respectively. Katie Duncan, ~*NYCFW model*~ and beauty/fashion enthusiast was kind enough to sit down with us and shared some of her favorite moments from on/off stage, as well as some lessons she took away from her experience.

HC: What compelled you to initially be a part of College Fashion Week?

KD: I have always been deeply intrigued with the entire world of fashion. It always seemed like an unrealistic dream of mine to model in a fashion show. College Fashion Week gave me the incredible opportunity to make this dream come true. Once I knew this dream was within reach, I knew I had to participate. Another aspect that encouraged me to to be a part of College Fashion week was that all the models were real, authentic college girls just like me. Her Campus Media wanted to feature girls of all heights, shapes, and sizes. The dedication to model diversity highly intrigued me.

HC: Can you share your #1 fashion and beauty secret with our readers?!

KD: Confidence. To be honest, you could pile on all the makeup you wanted, rock the newest, most elite trends. None of it would work without a smile and poise in your posture and walk. Once a girl smiles, her natural beauty radiates, which is the most attractive aspect of a person. It may sound cliche, but a smile is the best accessory you can wear.

HC: What was one thing your experience with College Fashion Week taught you about yourself that you did not previously know?

KD: I learned that I thrive exceptionally when I have the support of other encouraging females. I previously thought of myself as an entirely independent person, but I realized that the backing these girls gave me truly pushed me to have that extra bit of confidence on the runway. We were all pumping each other up backstage right before we went on, and as soon as we exited the runway they we were there for each other for a huge congratulatory hug.

HC: What was the very first thought you had when stepping on to the runway?

KD: OMG, is this real life!? I could not distinguish if I was dreaming or not. I felt very fierce and powerful because the music was blaring and gave us a great beat to walk to. The first pose felt incredible because as soon as I came out on stage everyone started cheering and clapping. The liveliness of the audience continued to feed my confidence. I certainly enjoyed the energy of the crowd.

HC: Because New York City is the mecca of Fashion Week, did you feel any extra pressure while performing?

KD: To be honest, I felt no extra pressure because of the location. The location got me even more excited and honored to be walking in one of the most distinguished fashion capitals in the world. I knew I was part of something genuinely special.

HC: If you could distinguish one part of the experience as your favorite, which one would it be?

KD: My favorite part of the experience was getting to work with some of the most incredible young women I have ever met in my life. Each one had a unique story, all being extremely dedicated to their Her Campus chapters and even their own personal fashion blogs. They came from numerous different locations so it was intriguing to hear about their different college experiences and the roles they play for their Her Campus chapters.

HC: How was it being decked out head to toe in Forever-21? What is your favorite quality of this brand?

KD: I have always been a Forever-21 fiend. I loved being entirely dressed in this brand because I have been an advocate of for so many years. True story: my closet is more than half from Forever-21. My favorite qualities of this brand is the affordability and the diverse offering of fresh and up-and-coming trends. For example, fur vests and jackets have been a huge trend this current and past fall season. Forever-21 offers some of the best quality and affordability of faux fur apparel. In the fashion show I sported one of the softest, high-quality fur jackets I have ever encountered. I absolutely fell in love!

HC: What was it like looking into the audience, knowing some of fashion’s best watching you strut?!  

KD: It felt empowering! I got a huge rush of adrenaline watching everyone whip out their phones and cameras as soon as I walked on stage. Even looking back on the photos captured at the event, it is unreal to see everyone pictured in the crowd taking photos of me. I could see an image of myself on each and everyone of their phones! Before the event, I thought I was going to be a nervous wreck. It turned out to be the exact opposite.

HC: College Fashion Week is known for bringing collegiette’s together, helping form new relationships within our community. Looking back now, what is one memory you will always cherish because of the new friendships you made?

KD: At the end of the show, we had one last finale that all the girls had to do one final walk in. Once we finished, Windsor, the president of Her Campus Media, brought us all back on stage and we basically had a big dance party to celebrate a successful show. Everyone in the audience was clapping to the beat and they were absolutely loving our energy. It was so much fun to dance with the amazing new friends I made. And to add, casually, on a fashion runway. We were all hugging and congratulating each other. It was incredible how close we became in a matter of 9 hours together. Phone numbers were exchanged, and plans were made to visit each other’s college campuses. What an unforgettable, rewarding experience! 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.