This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With deadlines starting to approach and student budgets starting to tighten, it is easy to start feeling those mid-term blues. As you start to recycle outfits and can’t seem to find anything to wear in that packed, overfilled wardrobe, here are some tips to consider to help revitalise your look.

Instead of buying lots of new items to refresh your style, it is important to see what you already own. Timeless wardrobe staples are vital to refresh your look, because the plain and simple styles allow room to reinvent and customise. The LBD (little black dress) can be viewed as the perfect wardrobe staple for refreshing your look as it is such a versatile piece. A black dress can easily be worn multiple times without resembling a previous outfit when teamed with the right accessories. 

A statement necklace or a pair of chandelier earrings can provide a focal point to your look by adding a touch of glamour to it. Additions like these are perfect for the winter months and celebrations as they are effortless whilst still adding impact to an otherwise basic outfit. Many outfits can also simply be refreshed by the addition of a belt. This instantly updates your outfit and gives it more shape and structure. It’s not only dresses which can be belted, but also coats. As we are entering the chillier months, this is a great way to add interest to otherwise everyday attire. 

[pagebreak]

Many pieces which you wear during the day or to casual events can equally be worn at night. By wearing different jewellery, shoes or even just adding a red lip, your look can be refreshed for the later hours. A simple t-shirt for example can be dressed up to create a casual but smart outfit by adding a chunky chain necklace.  A sequinned skirt or dress can be toned down by teaming it with a warm casual jumper or cardigan. 

By mixing up items you would not usually wear, you instantly refresh your look instead of wearing the same outfits on repeat. Layering different combinations of clothes which you already own is also an exciting way to refresh your look. Mixing different textures and prints can create a refreshed and interesting image. Shirts are perfect for layering as they can be worn loosely and undone in the style of a jacket or tied around your hips or waist in a relaxed street style.

Though the nights are drawing in, this doesn’t mean you have to be dressed head to toe in dark winter colours. Wearing brighter tones such as orange and pink will instantly refresh your look and improve your mood. Tops which are suited for summer can just as easily be adapted for colder temperatures with the addition of a blazer or leather jacket. However, teaming darker tones together can equally create a very chic, effortless and refreshed look. 

Photo Credits: Pinterest