HCX Review: 2015 Brit Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I think we can all agree that the 2015 Brit Awards newly hosted by Ant and Dec and held on Wednesday night at the o2 Arena was certainly one to remember. From awkward award presentations; to a performance that was 50% partly audible and 50% muted and finally, to possibly the most talked about fall of the century, it is not surprising that our twitter newsfeeds were on fire on Wednesday night.

Yet despite the multiple mis-haps of the evening, it is clear that 2014 was truly the year of the British music artists. As their American counter-parts (literally) stumbled through their performances, Britain’s two most loved male artists were the stars of the show as they dominated the awards collecting four (intriguingly designed) Brit statues between them. Sam Smith picked up the awards for British Breakthrough and Global Success, whilst Ed Sheeran won British Male Artist and the Mastercard British Album of the Year for his album X. Both Ed Sheeran’s mesmerizing performance of his new single ‘Bloodstream’ and Sam Smith’s soulful and tear jerking ‘Lay Me Down’ gave the American music industry a run for their money.

Other performances on the night included Taylor Swift opening the Brits with her chart topping hit ‘Blank Space’ and Paloma Faith’s dramatic rainy rendition ‘Only Love Can Hurt Like This’. However perhaps the most refreshing performance of the night came from new on the scene Brighton rock duo Royal Blood; who also picked up the award for British Group. 

Ultimately the 2015 Brit’s proved to be a particularly entertaining night of music, glamour and drama. We only wish it could have been improved by an impromptu entrance by Kanye West to steal Taylor Swift’s first Brit award for International Female. Oh and did I mention poor Madge’s fall?