Contraceptive of the Week: THE IUD and IUS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Quoting Radio 1 the other day “you are more likely to get an S.T.I in your first year at university than a first”. Okay, so that fact might have been a little bit exaggerated, but still the message is particularly important: if you are going to engage in sexual activity, you need to protect yourself from unwanted pregnancies and S.T.Is. In light of the SSB, HCX thought we would help to educate you in what methods of contraception are available, focusing on a different contraceptive each week so that you can make the best choice for yourself contraceptive-wise.

This week HCX is going to inform you about the IUD and IUS.

The IUD (Intrauterine Device)

This is a small T-shaped copper or plastic device that is inserted into the womb by a doctor. It is a long acting reversible contraceptive. There are two kinds: the five year IUD or the ten year IUD. These can be taken out at any time, but if they are not taken out, they will protect you for either five or ten years, depending on the kind that you have.

How does it work?

The IUD works as a combative contraception. It presents sperm from surviving in the cervix, womb or fallopian tubes and hence prevents pregnancy.

How effective is the IUD?

The IUD is over 99 per cent effective. According to the NHS this means less than 2 women of 100 will get pregnant over five years. Pretty good statistics!

Benefits of the IUD

• Once it has been inserted, it works straight away so you don’t have to worry about remembering to take an oral form of contraception which is great when you have 9 o’clock lectures.
  • It is not affected by any medications. This means if you are unwell and have to take antibiotics, you are still protected from pregnancy.
  • Once the IUD is taken out your fertility rate returns to normal.

Disadvantages of the IUD

• Unfortunately in some people, the IUD can make your period heavier and longer than usual.
  • Before you have it inserted, you need to have a genital exam by a medical professional which can be uncomfortable. On the upside, the exam is a full check for any nasty, unwanted S.T.Is.
  • Most importantly, HCX cannot stress the importance that this method does not protect you from STIs, so always make sure to wear a condom!

The IUS (Intrauterine System)

This is similar to the IUD in that it a small T-shaped plastic device but it also contains the hormone progesterone. LIKE the IUD it is a long acting reversible contraceptive which will protect you for the number of years which it is in place.

How does it work?

The IUS releases the hormone progesterone into the womb. The progesterone thickens the mucus from the cervix preventing the sperm getting through and reaching the egg. It also thins the lining of the womb so it is less likely to accept a fertilised egg.

How effective is the IUS?

The IUS is over 99 per cent effective. According to the NHS this means less than 2 women of 100 will get pregnant over five years.

Benefits of the IUS

• It can be taken out at any time and will not affect your fertility.
  • As a result of the progesterone it can make your periods lighter and shorter. In some women it may cause the period to stop altogether. No periods-great!
  • It works as soon as it is put in so you don’t have to think about taking an oral form form of contraception.

Disadvantages of the IUS

• Some women develop acne.
  • Some women report mood swings, headaches or breast tenderness.
  • The IUS does not protect you from STIs so remember to use condoms.

Fun Fact about the IUS: If you are worried about the hormone levels in the IUS do not be. In fact the IUS contains the equivalent dosage of 2 oral contraceptive pills a week, which equates to about 8 contraceptive pills a month so the hormone level is much lower than in the oral pill!

Where can I go to get an IUD or IUS?

• The best place to go for this is The Student Health Centre where they will be happy to discuss and fit an IUD/IUS with you. These are usually fitted on Wednesdays so try to keep them free and remember to book an appointment to avoid dissapointment.
  • If you can’t got to the health centre, your family doctor or a family planning clinic will also be able to help you.

We hope that we have informed you in the best way that we can about the IUD and IUS. A friend of HCX commented that “changing from the contraceptive pill to the IUS was the best decision I ever made. It is such less hassle and as my periods have stopped, I don’t have to spend tons of money of sanitation. A win, win situation for both me and my bank balance!” Whatever form of contraception you go for: remember to keep safe!

For more information go to NHS choices:

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Contraception/Pages/Contraception-hub.aspx

Photo Credits:

http://majesticnighthawk.tumblr.com/post/35327213174

http://justaskshawna.wordpress.com/tag/iud/

peterboroughcash.nhs.uk