Top Ten Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Top Ten Halloween Movies

By: Maddi Karpiej

It’s that time of year again, which means pumpkin spice, fuzzy socks and flannels galore! But even more importantly, it’s time to get into the spirit of the season by gathering up your very best spooky movies and sitting down to a well-deserved marathon. Not sure what to watch? This list below has you covered.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Arguably the best spooky season movie of the 20th century, Hocus Pocus follows the story of the Sanderson Sisters, three witches who come back from the dead to wreak havoc in Salem, MA on Halloween night. Not only did this film give its young audience its first history lesson on the Salem Witch Trials, but we also were blessed with Bette Midler’s iconic rendition of “I Put A Spell You,” a certifiable bop to this very day.

Psycho (1960)

Alfred Hitchcock’s most famous work, Psycho, set the standard for all psychological thrillers to follow. Marion Crane, a young secretary, is forced to leave town after committing a crime, when she finds herself at the now infamous Bates Motel. Filled with twists and turns, this movie will scare you to the bone by getting inside your head.

Practical Magic (1998)

The ultimate Halloween movie to watch when you’re in need of a little romance and sisterly love; Practical Magic is about two witch sisters who were raised by their aunts. The only problem is, they’re bound by a curse that makes it impossible for them to find love (super relatable, I know).

Ghostbusters (1984)

Ghostbusters is the movie to watch when you’re in need of a laugh and a break from the spookiness of the season. This classic fall comedy is about a group of men who make their living by capturing ghosts running amok around New York, and is filled with ridiculous jokes that will make you laugh, no matter what time of year it is.

Halloweentown (1998)

A close runner up to Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown towers above the rest of the Disney Channel Halloween movies. Marney, a teenage girl who learns that she is a witch travels to Halloweentown, a place where people of her kind can live freely. On her visit, she finds herself caught in the middle of a trap that will ruin the town if she can’t stop it.

The Shining (1980)

While anything with Jack Nicholson is terrifying, this movie takes the prize for “most creepy villain of all time.” Set during the winter in Colorado, a small family finds themselves trapped in an off-season hotel when their father is tasked with taking care of the building. While it seems harmless at first, the past of the hotel begins to creep into the present, causing Nicholson’s character to spiral into a madness that becomes dangerous for not only him-but his family as well.

Halloween (1978)

It wouldn’t be Halloween if you didn’t watch, well, Halloween. Starring Jamie Lee Curtis as a teenage babysitter, this movie introduces the legendary Michael Myers and a storyline which would spark into a series with a massive fan base and approximately 5,000 sequels. Also, it’s one of the best horror films that can go slasher without turning cheesy, so bonus.

Scooby Doo (2002)

This list absolutely would not be complete without the very best of the live action Scooby remakes. After Mystery Inc. is forced to break up due to their own conflicts, they are summoned together several years later to team up again and solve one more mystery on an island resort which is frequented by spring breakers.

Wait Until Dark (1967)

For anyone who is as obsessed with Breakfast at Tiffany’s as I am, this movie is for you. Starring Audrey Hepburn as Susy Hendrix, a recently blinded young woman who is terrorized by a group of thugs who search for heroine that they are lead to believe is hid in her apartment. It’s basically the Hush of yesteryear, but much, much better.

The Haunted Mansion (2003)

If you’re in the mood for a children’s movie with a surprising scare-factor, The Haunted Mansion is the movie for you. Based off of the Disney ride of the same name, the movie is about married real estate agents who are asked to check out an old mansion that may be listed. However, this family outing goes awry when they realized that they have been called in for a much more sinister purpose. Plus, who doesn’t love Eddie Murphy?

There you have it everyone, now go out there and get into the spooky ~spirit~

Eva Graef

Endicott