This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Urban dictionary defines ghosting as “The act of suddenly ceasing all communication with someone the subject is dating, but no longer wishes to date. This is done in hopes that the ghostee will just “get the hint” and leave the subject alone, as opposed to the subject simply telling them he/she is no longer interested.” This is usually done after you’ve gone on a couple dates with someone or hooked up a couple times and just aren’t feeling it anymore and want to move on. I would not recommend this for anyone in an exclusive relationship, or for anything that has lasted longer than a few weeks because that’s just confusing and even more hurtful than ghosting already is. Super important to note you CANNOT come back from ghosting, so make sure you really want to cut this person out.

Turn on those read receipts make it clear

This is just the most obvious thing you can do, but seriously make sure they’re on so who ever you’re ghosting knows you’ve seen the texts they’re sending. That would just be pointless if they couldn’t see it and they might not understand and just keep hitting you up.

Do a slow fade out

You could go cold turkey cut them off randomly, but I wouldn’t suggest it. Let them prepare a little bit and feel the same distance that you do by slowing minimizing your amount of replies and enthusiasm in the replies. You can do this over a couple days, it doesn’t have to be like a week long fade out if you don’t want it to be. Also your ghostee is going to worry and feel insanely confused if you just do it in one day, don’t have them being concerned for your well being when you’re fucking them over.

Be 100% consistent and sure of your decision

You can’t just ghost for a few days and bounce back texting and snapping them like nothing ever happened. You’re going to look flakey and inconsistent and nobody likes that. You simply can’t come back from ghosting because you know you’re leaving them hanging and possibly hurt or confused. You just gotta follow through if you’re going to.

Know your connection to them

If a mutual friend set you up, you’re going to see them in class everyday, or you had a good thing going for a while, just let them know how you’re feeling and end it without the ghosting aspect. Don’t make things awkward for yourself, or give yourself a bad reputation. Know your situation, and do what you think will be best.

Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!