Search Goes Social with Bing: Come Celebrate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

When you’re looking to try something new (whether it’s a restaurant, movie, study abroad company — whatever) you ask your friends, right? Maybe you make a Facebook status or send a tweet, but it’s always best to a get a second (Or third. Or twentieth.) opinion. Bing has recently made it easier for you to get advice and suggestions from both your Facebook friends, as well as experts from across Twitter and the web, as you’re searching online. Bing’s new social search experience is available now at bing.com/new. When you use the new Bing, you’ll see the ‘Sidebar’ on the right that includes “Friends Who Might Know.” These results complement the standard search results, offering you the chance to start a conversation and get help from your Facebook friends. Bing will show you friends who have recently liked, or posted photos related to your search. For example, if you’re searching for Spain in your search to determine where to go study abroad, you might discover that one of your Facebook friends has also just visited Spain. Bing will also suggest friends on Facebook who might know about the topic. From the activity feed in the sidebar on Bing you can see, in real time, posts and queries that you and your Facebook friends have shared from Bing. You can help answer your friends’ questions or discover new topics by seeing what your friends are looking at.

In celebration of this awesome new way to search, Bing and Her Campus are throwing some super swanky parties in cities around the country. There will be drinks, food, music, prizes, and PCs for you to see the brand new Bing in action. The party is in Atlanta on June 19th. Registration is now open so be sure to register here for the chance to socialize with Bing and Her Campus! Check www.hercampus.com/bing for all the event details in the coming weeks! Hope to see you collegiettes there!

Michelle King is currently pursuing a Publishing degree from Emerson College. She was a web intern at Seventeen magazine this past summer and ultimately hopes to move to New York and go into web publishing. Her role models are Jane Pratt, Amy Poehler, Megan McCafferty, and her brother. She loves traveling (she's been to 14 countries), attending concerts (her dream is to see Florence + the Machine live), long distance running, and playing around with clothes and makeup. Women who can do lipliner perfectly are also her role models.