#EmoryGirlProblems: How to stay in shape when the weather is cold and the WoodPEC’s “Out of Order”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Slowly pacing up and down the row of broken or occupied exercise machines in the WoodPEC isn’t exactly our idea of a good workout. If you’ve made your way up to the fourth floor workout room lately, chances are you have waited up to 30 minutes for a turn on a treadmill or an elliptical. With the current temperatures still averaging around 40 degrees, and our daily schedules as packed as ever, how are we supposed to stay in shape? Her Campus Emory has come up with a few exciting and efficient ideas for you to stay active this winter.

Run the indoor track. When it’s too cold to run outside, and the treadmills aren’t available, why not do a few laps around the track? Run with a friend, or listen to some music on your iPod, and the time will fly by. It’s no run in Lullwater, but at least you’re going somewhere.

Swim laps. They say swimming is one of the best forms of exercise for your body, plus, no sweating involved! You’ll end your workout cool and refreshed.
To learn more about the pool hour’s click here.

Take a fitness class. Emory offers a wide array of fitness classes in the WoodPEC, ranging from Pilates to Boot Camp. Fitness classes are fun, social and motivating ways to get in shape, and will definitely diversify your workout experience. Mix up your routine by adding in a few classes. View the schedule for Emory’s exercise classes here.
Emory also has a partnership with Bikram Yoga Decatur, a 105-degree yoga studio right across the street from the Clairmont Campus. Hop on the shuttle to Clairmont and it’s just a short walk from there.

Climb the rock wall. You know you’ve always wanted to. If you’re venturing to the WoodPEC anyway, might as well give it a try. Climbing works all different muscle groups, and it’s an adrenaline rush too. Conquer your fear of heights while getting fit. Click here for more information.

Swear to take the stairs. Between the library, the dorms, and the academic buildings, you’d be surprised how many calories you can burn by avoiding the elevators. If you’re really hardcore, you can sprint the stairs, just try not to knock anyone out in the process.

Early Bird special. Try the WoodPEC early in the morning before class.The workout room won’t be as crowded earlier in the day, plus you’ll probably burn more fat. When you workout late in the afternoon, you’re just burning the calories you ate that day, rather than actual fat. Plus, nothing wakes you up like a good run!

Workout videos. Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your dorm? Get a few girls together and follow a workout video in your room or common areas. Workout videos are for sale online and in stores, and you’d be surprised how many you can find for free on YouTube. Here are a few of our personal favorites:
Create a Video Workout:
Create your own workout video on FitnessMagazine.com! It only takes a few minutes and you can incorporate all your favorite moves. Be sure to try some new things too!

8 Minute Abs:

Trust us it works, and in only a few short minutes! Make sure you put your own iTunes on in the background though.

Dance Workout with Barbie:

Get in touch with your inner child! Who doesn’t miss Barbie?

The Pussycat Dolls Workout:

We’ve all wanted to dance like them. Here’s your chance to learn how when no one’s watching!

Hopefully these ideas will inspire you to get moving and keep you active during this season. Don’t pick just one, mixing up your workouts will work different parts of your body and keep you more entertained. Happy exercising!

Jessica lives her life at several speeds. She talks too fast, eats too slow and over-analyzes too much.  When she’s not telling long-winded stories, sitting alone at the dinner table, or staring off into space, Jessica loves all things creative. Screenwriter, play director and poet at age 9, songwriter and choreographer at age 16, now, at 23, all she really wants to do is write, help others, and post Instagrams.  As a social media coordinator for multiple fashion brands, and a post-grad writer for Her Campus, she gets to do just that. Jessica is a Midwestern girl from the suburbs of Chicago, but she fell in love with city living during a summer internship in the Big Apple, and now calls NYC home. Jessica loves chocolate milkshakes, dance parties, Chippewa Ranch Camp, Friends re-runs, Chuck Bass and of course, spending time with her fans (read: family and friends).