10 Tips for Healthier Skin

Maintaining healthy, clear skin is a tough task for all of us. It seems that no matter how hard we try, we’re all still bound to spot a blemish somewhere on our skin every once in a while. Although I still haven’t mastered the art of having perfect skin, I’ve definitely learned ways to improve my skin and keep it glowing as I get older. Here are 10 things I’ve learned to achieve healthier skin!

1. 1. Take your makeup off before bed, always!

This seems like it would be obvious, but it’s harder than it seems. I have plenty of lazy nights where I don’t feel like taking off my makeup, and I almost always regret it in the morning. Makeup sitting inside pores can lead to breakouts, so it’s always better to take it off. I find makeup wipes to be the most convenient but sometimes I like to use a liquid remover to give my skin a break from the rubbing of the wipes, which can sometimes feel harsh. I like to use the Makeup Melt from Bliss—it’s super gentle and does a great job at taking makeup off without feeling like you’re pulling out all your eyelashes.

2. 2. Wash your face both in the morning and at night. 

Something I have noticed that makes a big difference in my skin is washing my face twice a day instead of once. Sometimes we only think to wash our face at night to get rid of everything that has built up throughout the day, but washing your face in the morning is just as important too. Not only does it help remove any bacteria that may have built up during sleep, but it is also refreshing. I always wash my face with cold water in the morning to wake myself up, and I also use a citrus scented face wash by Acure for a bright and rejuvenating feel. 

3. 3. Try using a toner. 

I’d always heard about toner, but I never really knew what it did. Toner is mostly used to remove excess dirt or oil from skin. Usually after I remove my makeup and wash my face, I still need to use a toner to get anything else off. I use a toner by S.W. Basics—it only has 5 natural ingredients including apple cider vinegar, which has great benefits for skin such as exfoliating, clearing pores, and balancing PH.

4. 4. Exfoliating is important. 

I’ve found that exfoliating can help not only make skin feel softer to the touch, but it also makes skin feel cleaner. Exfoliating allows for a deep cleansing of the pores. The act of exfoliating helps to scrub off dead skin cells and allow for new ones to surface, which is especially helpful if you have dry or flakey skin. I like to use an exfoliator every few days, as doing it too much can do more harm than good. When looking for an exfoliant, try to find a natural one, like sugar, salt, or oats. Harsher exfoliants sometimes can cause microtears in the skin and cause wrinkles later on. Bliss also has a non-abrasive exfoliant, which is super gentle, but still does a great job.

5. 5. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

Moisturizing is a must in my skin care routine, but it may depend on your skin type. For me, my skin is often dry, and the longer it stays dry, the more my body works to produce oil, and I end up with a breakout. Keeping my skin moisturized not only helps it to look nice, but it also helps keep my face nourished so it doesn’t cause pimples. Plus, a heavy moisturizer makes my skin feel softer to the touch, while also helping my makeup sit nicely on my face.

6. 6. Drink water. 

Okay, I don’t really know the science behind why water is better for your skin, but I can tell from experience that it completely changed my skin. Water flushes out the toxins in our bodies, giving us a better complexion, and healthier bodies too. Once I began making a conscious effort to drink a good amount of water every day, I noticed a drastic difference in the way that my skin both looked and felt.

7. 7. Use a jade roller. 

Using a jade roller is a fairly new trend, and maybe I recommend it because it feels satisfying and because all the Youtube stars do it, but I also enjoy doing it. Jade rollers are supposed to reduce inflammation and minimize fine lines, among a bunch of other benefits. I also like to put mine in the freezer for a little bit before I use it, which feels extremely rejuvenating on the skin, but also is supposed to reduce puffiness as well. I use a roller from Sonia Kashuk, but they are available just about anywhere.

8. 8. Dry your face the right way.

I never actually knew this was a thing, but apparently there’s a wrong way to dry your face. If you use a towel to dry your face after washing it, you’re never supposed to rub it around harshly—dabbing is your best bet. Rubbing regular cloth against your face vigorously can speed up the development of wrinkles, along with other acts of pulling on the skin. Being conscious of this will (hopefully) reduce wrinkles as you age. Try being gentle as your rub in products as well, trying not to pull the skin too much.

9. 9. Wear sunscreen. 

I know people constantly say this, but it’s true. Even if a sunburn fades to a tan, and ends up looking fine, it’s really bad for your skin in the long run. Not only can one bad sunburn contribute to the risk of skin cancer, but sunburns can also cause the skin, which is soft and thin on the face, to become prematurely wrinkled, and skin can get a leathery feel. Wearing sunscreen on your face is wildly important to protect the skin, but make sure to find one that is specifically for face. I use a SunBum face sunscreen because it is light on my face and doesn't make me break out. 

10. 10. Find your routine. 

I was never successful in caring for my skin when I wasn’t consistent about it. Finding a routine that works for you, and sticking to it is really important for not only making your skin healthy, but keeping it that way. It’s important to practice healthy habits for your skin and start reducing the bad ones, so that you can experience happy, healthy skin for a long time!