Why Everyone Needs To Stop Criticizing Taylor Swift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

For weeks, I have been scrolling through Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc., and a majority of what I have seen is relating to Taylor Swift and her new album.  Many of the people I follow, as I’ve seen feel pretty strongly, one way or another, about Swift’s new album.  I want to start this off by saying you are entitled to your opinion, and if you really don’t agree with what Taylor is doing, that’s fine, I respect that. However, now that we have established that I respect you opinion, I’m going to explain why you need to stop tweeting about it.  

First of all, the idea of a “new Taylor” doesn’t exactly mean what you think it means.  For years the media has tormented Swift and put her in the spotlight more than most other celebrities. I know what you’re thinking, she’s famous, she should be used to it. In that case, let me ask you, how would you like every second of your life posted online for the world to see? Take the simple things you do, and take for granted, such as leaving your own house. Taylor is unable to go anywhere without people taking pictures of her.  Maybe that doesn’t seem that bad to you, but imagine that being your life, day in and day out, for years. Something tells me you’d get sick of the paparazzi too.

Next, I’d like to bring up the fact that every time Taylor Swift goes out with a boy, she’s *Obviously* dating them. Because all Taylor Swift does is date boys and write songs about it. There are many people who only accredit Swift with soley this, ignoring the amount of accomplishments, awards, and records she has broken. I’m not in any way blaming the public here, as most of it is the fault of the media, but there comes a time when individuals need to realize that Taylor Swift is more than the men she decides to date. I pose to you a similar question, if every moment of your love life was photographed or broadcasted online, would you be happy?

On top of both of these things, now imagine everyone criticizing you constantly.  Criticizing you because they believe someone should have won an award over you.  Criticizing you because they think you play the victim. Criticizing you when you don’t play the victim. Criticizing you for just being yourself. Imagine if that was you.

Putting all the other things that Taylor Swift deals with on a daily basis aside, imagine now that these things combined have been happening to you for 11 years. Just for a moment. Don’t you think that at some point, probably, if I’m guessing much sooner than 11 years, you would have a response?

So please, stop blaming Taylor for everything she does. I don’t care if you disagree with it, or if you think she handled it in the wrong way. She handled everything the way she needed to to make herself happy. Is she perfect? No, but is she human? Very much so.  She is just trying to be strong and face her problems head on. After all, isn’t that what you would do?

Taylor, you’re doing great sweetie. Keep doing you.

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor