This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I lived in one room with three other girls last semester. Yes, three. Two bunk beds and no personal space. I love them all dearly, and they have become some of my best friends, but it was hard having little to no alone time.

After a few weeks, I calculated my potential time alone in the room, and with all of our chaotic schedules, it came out to two thirty minute periods every week. A single hour of peace, quiet, and personal reflection. 

I love being around people and have always struggled with doing activities alone. From coffee runs to picking up medications, I always ask a friend to come with me. However, as an introvert, I was overwhelmed by constantly existing in a space with three other people. I needed time to myself to breathe and live in my own head. 

Time alone is important for creativity, personal exploration, and social energy, according to Very Well Mind. It is necessary, especially for introverts, to recharge and take part in self-care activities like reading, journaling, and watching Netflix.

Over the summer, I had a lot of time to myself because I decided to live at home in Colorado, over 2,000 miles away from my friends at Emerson. At first it was overwhelming—sitting with my own thoughts and not knowing what to do next—but I quickly realized that it was a blessing in disguise.

I started reflecting on what I enjoyed doing and how I could incorporate more of those activities into my life. I love to write, so I started keeping a semi-regular journal of exciting events and my random thoughts. I have always enjoyed crafts, so I taught myself how to sew and gathered supplies from estate sales to make tote bags and tops. I rediscovered a love for reading and listening to my favorite artists and musicals. 

Being alone became a gift instead of a feeling of isolation. I could go to work and spend time with my friends and family and then return to the activities that made me feel happy on my own.

The most important discovery I made while spending time alone was myself. I reconnected with the parts of me that I lost in college, when I was always in constant motion. When I took the time to stop and reflect, I remembered that much of who I was before college was still crucial to who I am now. 

So when I get the chance, I try to take myself on little solo journeys around Boston. Or I sit in my room with a pumpkin chai, my favorite playlist, and a good book. I try to enjoy the little moments with myself because as much as I love other people, I need to love myself too.

Maddie Browning is a senior journalism major with environmental studies and publishing minors at Emerson College. She is a freelance writer for the Living and Arts sections at The Boston Globe. Browning covers music, comedy, books, travel, romance, and fashion.