A Sense of Belonging with Family

As a college student, I am maturing and strive to gain a sense of belonging. Inevitable hardships in life stimulate the feeling of misery and solitude but as I transition to adulthood and experience self-actualization, I realize the importance of family. 

I don’t return to Argentina during my breaks because I am homesick; more so, I return because I am family-sick. As an international student, I am instantly healed by seeing my parents back at home. However, this healing is only temporary. I endlessly yearn for my parents’ affection. Family is power, since it provides me with an immeasurable warmth. Family is a source of strength and hope, and we have each other for mutual support, security, and sympathy. However, alone in the US, I lack this sense of belonging. Without such a sense of belonging, loneliness is inevitable and can feel insurmountable. I have very supportive friends and professors in college, but the support I receive from family is incomparable. At the end of the day, only family can provide a sense of unconditional security and warmth. 

My family has raised me with plentiful freedom. My father encourages me to make my own mistakes and learn from them on my own. My parents provide me with an excellent education and upbringing. I am privileged to be able to be sent abroad to pursue my higher education and goals. However, despite my privileges, I sometimes feel isolated and unable to garner a complete sense of belonging. 

The loyalty that family provides is immeasurable. After all, only our family will provide unconditional care. When we experience hardships that life puts in our way, we go to our family for comfort and support—literal and symbolic concepts of shelter—because they understand us best. As I mature, I realize why family is so important: it is the source of the unconditional feeling that I truly belong.