This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I am a huge fan of food. Whenever I go on vacation, finding good restaurants is the first step in my planning process. I have to make sure that wherever I go, I try the best food spots. So naturally, after moving to Boston, I researched the best restaurants with the help of my boyfriend. We even created a shared document on our notes apps to rank our favorite places. Of the restaurants we’ve tried so far, these are our top choices. 

Joe’s American Bar and Grill

Joe’s is a fantastic option because they have amazing brunch and dinner! It’s so good that I made sure to bring my family there when they visited me at school from Colorado. My favorite brunch item is their buffalo chicken and waffles. I know it probably sounds weird, but it is the perfect combo of sweet and savory. It comes with waffles topped with fried chicken coated in buffalo sauce, syrup, and blue cheese (which I take off because I’m not that bold). They also have freshly-made flavored lemonades (the peach is my top choice). I’ve only been there for dinner once because it is a little pricey, but their lobster ravioli is amazing! I definitely recommend going for a special anniversary or birthday. 

Trattoria Il Panino

Trattoria Il Panino is my pick for the best date night spot…or a fun night out with your besties. It’s located in the North End, Boston’s Little Italy, so obviously their pasta is incredible. They really know how to set the mood with romantic lighting. The restaurant is dimly lit with candles on each table making it feel almost like it’s just you and the person you’re sitting with. My favorite menu item is their “ravioli porcini,” a mushroom ravioli in a black truffle cream sauce. I have high standards for mushroom ravioli because I absolutely love mushrooms, and this meal blew me away. It’s the perfect level of cream where it’s not too heavy, but satisfying. Their pasta is also served on cooking pans, adding a fun touch. 

The Q

The Q is a Chinese restaurant right on the edge of Chinatown. They have hot pot, regular entrees, sushi, and appetizers, so there are a lot of options to choose from. My favorite item on their menu is the “spicy avocado ball.” It is a ball of spicy tuna covered in tempura flakes and avocado with spicy mayo and eel sauce on top (legitimately one of my favorite things I’ve ever eaten). I usually share it with my boyfriend as an appetizer, but I could definitely eat more than one by myself. I also love their sushi; they even have a heart-shaped roll called the “sweetheart roll.” 

Granary Tavern

Granary Tavern has somewhat of a limited menu, but everything I’ve tried is spectacular. The one sad part about going there now is that they no longer have the lobster rangoon on the menu. They do, however, have shrimp toast, which almost tastes like shrimp scampi on bread; it is so, so good. Their burgers also have a “special sauce” like no other. In fact, the rating from my boyfriend and I specifically highlighted that sauce. The restaurant’s ambiance is also very comforting—it’s almost like a modern take on a wooden tavern. We gave Granary Tavern 5 stars. 

Searching for restaurants can be really fun. I like researching online or looking through TikToks of restaurant recommendations near me. You can really bond with your significant other or friend by finding places that you’ll both enjoy or perhaps you’ll have an interesting story to tell later on. My boyfriend and I have discovered some truly amazing restaurants, and some terrible ones, but we always have a good time. I encourage you to find restaurants near you that have food you know you love and food you have never tried before. Expand your culinary horizons—I promise you’ll enjoy it. 

Maddie Browning is a senior journalism major with environmental studies and publishing minors at Emerson College. She is a freelance writer for the Living and Arts sections at The Boston Globe. Browning covers music, comedy, books, travel, romance, and fashion.