Maddie Abry: Good Morning Emerson’s Newest Host

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Maddie Abry, a junior journalism student from Greenwich, CT opens the door to her Colonial single and immediately embraces me, asking if the walk was ok due to the chilly fall weather outside, and invites me in.  It is easy to see why so many people love opening up and talking to Abry on the set of Good Morning Emerson, the Emerson Channel show Abry now hosts. She greets me in a casual ensemble of jeans and a t-shirt, but a peek into Abry’s closet, lined with structured dresses, peter pan collars, and meticulous blazers hint at Abry’s new gig as anchor extraordinaire.  She already has several episodes for the new semester under her belt but for now she’s leaving the interviewing to us, as well as her purple velvet chair reserved specifically for the occasion.

Her Campus: Tell us about this journey that you have gone through to become the Host of GME (Good Morning Emerson). What was the process it took to get here?  

Maddie Abry: Last fall I went out for EmChan. I knew that there were really amazing shows that everyone went out for and everyone wanted to be a part of. I originally went out to do more entertainment news, but when I saw the people on GME I just knew that that was the best route for me to go down.  I went out for it in the fall of my sophomore year and ended up getting the position of Fashion Correspondent. I had so much fun; I probably said spice up your wardrobe like 60 times.  It was the best way to break into it because I had a team to work with and I was talking about something that I have always loved. Not necessarily something that I’m good at, as my sister would say, but something that I’ve always cared about. Then I got the Weather Correspondent, which meant I got to be in the studio every day. It was super fun, I got to make jokes, and I was normally wrong but I had an amazing time.

HC: What made you take the leap towards the hosting position?

MA: Well, it’s funny, this semester I was actually going to try to take a break from GME because I didn’t know if I would fit back into the cast in any way. But I went out and they called me back for a hosting position and pitched this new format idea to me. It was this idea of having three hosts and a lot of guest hosts, so it isn’t cookie cutter. It’s a lot of different people coming through with cool stories.

HC: So you have been there for 3 semesters?

MA: Yes, and I consider myself to be incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to work with them for that long.

HC: Tell me about the dynamic, working on a show like that.

MA: It’s just a really solid cast of people and I think the cool thing is, is that we compliment each other in different ways. One of my co-hosts Mike Cantalupo, has been doing this show for four semesters and this his second time hosting. It’s really nice to feel like I have a professional, almost like a veteran, sitting down next to me. And because I know if I ever have a problem, he’s there to save my awkward comment. Then I also have Christian Mudrick, who is a very different kind of host. He brings a lot of jokes in and has a great way of switching between fun and lighthearted to more serious. I have learned you make so many different relationships with different people. I love my producers; they are amazing. Sara Webber I have worked with for two semesters now and she is a star. Then there is Dan Sheehy, who really brings a lot of freshness to the show.  Him and Sara have created this new idea and, because of that, our first few shows have already been amazing.

HC: What do you think you bring to the dynamic that no one else can?

MA: One of my strengths is my journalistic approach to the hosting position. Thinking like a journalist in this setting is different; I model myself after national morning news: GMA (Good Morning America), The Today Show, I watch religiously. It’s really all about learning an art form and being a personality.

HC: Ok, so I have to ask, it’s live TV, there have to be some good awkward moment stories.

MA: Oh, believe me, the awkwardness has begun for sure. There were fewer opportunities for moments on the first few jobs I had. This one, for sure, it is just a plethora of moments where I try to not be awkward. I said the other day: let’s check out Kiernan’s package, which I think we were all horrified at. I really didn’t mean to, and I knew it as I said it, which was the worst part of all because I knew it was happening and couldn’t stop it, but it’s live TV so roll with it. When we practice, I say things flawlessly, then we get there and all bets are off. I’m a loose cannon.

HC: What would the professionals think?

MA: [laughs] I mean, if you watch GMA or the Today show, their professionals say awkward things all the time, because it’s live and there is no do over. If you watch Al Roker, he is still making awkward jokes and he has been doing this for 30 years. 

HC: So Al Roker’s style is telling awkward jokes, what would you say yours is?

MA: My style is a mix between being fun and being current, while trying to be as professional as possible.

HC: You’re doing what you love at a pretty unique school. Why Emerson?

MA: I know this is a weird thing to love, but when I came here, everyone was dressed up. No one was in sweatpants and I said praise Jesus I have finally found the place where they dress up, and also Emerson is the best place for what I want to do.

MA: [Holds up her dress she is wearing for tomorrow’s episode of GME] I also love that everyone is so busy here. It is the best quality that I think people take for granted. I wanted to be surrounded by people who were going to push me.

Emerson contributor