How to Rock the Top 5 Trends for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Mad for plaid: Tartan is everywhere. They have brought this pattern BACK, so much so that if you walk into any store lately you might be transported back to the 90s. We love it because it’s cozy, has a little bit of a preppy vibe, and is perfect for cold weather and the holiday season. So, whether you are rocking a button up or going for a classic flare skirt; try to pair your plaid item with something more contemporary, like a leather or denim jacket.

Fur-ocious: Everybody is getting cozy with this furry trend. We love it because while it is a major fashion statement, it is also a super practical layer to keep you warm on its own for fall, and even warmer under a jacket once snow hits the ground. You can grab a fur in an array of lengths and textures. If fur isn’t bold enough for you, go for a pattern or brightly colored one. The piece speaks for itself; try pairing it with a simple sweater and leggings underneath. And for those of you getting ready to call PETA, there are an amazing amount of Faux Fur lines out this season. We believe in no fur left behind and also no fur wearer!

Say something: Graphic sweaters are loud and proud this season. We love it because everyone owns about 50 sweaters, so why not mix it up with a sweater that has a personality? This trend has something to say and we have our fashionable ears peeled. Try to ground this louder top piece with something more muted on the bottom; black skinnies or any solid color block skirt should do the trick.

Seal it with a kiss: Red lipstick is a classic that infinitely makes any woman feel fabulous, but give your summer orangey-reds a vacation and join the dark side. Burgundy is taking the reigns and spicing up any drab, chilly day. We love it because it is traditional, almost as much of a staple as the red lip, but sets the tone to match darker colors of your wardrobe this season.

This is how we ‘do: Wave goodbye to summer with soft tousled curls. We love it because while this style is reminiscent of those straight-from-the-beach waves we all coveted a few months ago, it’s a style that can afford to get a little messy, under the constant putting on and taking off of hats and scarves. 

Emerson contributor