Life > Academics

Help! Fall 2021 Semester Isn’t Going Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Every school year, I start September with strong goals and a surge of motivation. I’m nostalgic that summer’s over but ready for Fall, too eager for a fresh start of a new semester. Then, the motivation slowly dwindles, November rolls around, and you’ve pretty much lost all the motivation when you need it most. I’m not sure if I’m having trouble letting go of summer 2021, or the fact that this is my first semester back to in-person classes after a year and a half online, or just exhaustion – but I’ve been having a difficult time staying motivated. 

I find myself skipping classes here and there, arriving late to class, missing assignments or doing them at the last possible minute, or having difficulty staying present and engaged during class discussions. In September, I’m eager to learn and am genuinely interested in the course topics. Then halfway into the semester, it becomes less about learning the material and more about just completing the assignment. It becomes a numbers game, caring more about the credit for the grade than the passion for the content. 

For those that find themselves in a similar situation and feel like they’re functioning on autopilot right now, I encourage you to hang on a little longer. If you literally have to count down the classroom hours and days left of the Fall semester to push you through, do it. If you are struggling, remember that school is only temporary. Find something to keep you focused on moving forward. Whether it’s a song, studying in your favorite spot, a personal reward every time you turn in an assignment or cheesy motivational quotes on Pinterest, find inspiration to keep you moving forward. Also, remind yourself why you chose your major in the first place. 

It’s easy to get caught up in the mundane grind of credits, general education courses, assignments and grades, and forget the passion that led us to choose this education path in the first place. Think about how great you’ll feel in December when you’ve just completed all your final assignments, you have winter break to look forward to and you can be proud of yourself for surviving and completing this Fall semester. You got this. 

Sara is a third-year Visual and Media Arts Major at Emerson College. Raised in Port Chester, NY she spends most of her time in her favorite city in the world: New York. She uses writing as a creative and healing outlet, writing about her passion for music with concert/album reviews, film and photography, and discovery and personal growth.