Cap is the New Black

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It is easy to get caught up on accessories we often consider throwaways. I know more than anyone, how disturbed I was when a throwback to 90s childhood, the fluorescent fanny pack I wore to many 5 year old birthday parties, graced the stages of the Givenchy Spring 2012 runway: I almost keeled over. But what if we took a more traditional fashion staple, typically used to mask bad hair days and reserved for the Red Sox World Series and turn it into a must have for your fall wardrobe? Baseball season may be coming to a close but we are not ready to give up on one of our favorite street style accessories. For us Baseball hat season is in its prime and it’s batter up for these untraditional ways of wearing the cap. Ladies, the baseball hat is back and better than ever.

1. Throwback: Try playing into the whimsical vibe that a baseball cap offers. Pair it with a graphic tee or any shirt with a loud, ‘look at me!’ print. Add a skirt to continue the flirty vibe through the entire outfit. Be bold and play with contrasting colors or stick to basic black with a cute flare.

2. Miss Prep in Her Step: Baseball caps are notoriously paired with collegiates and tennis moms.  Amp up this preppy vibe by pairing a pastel cap with a rugby style shirt or a crew neck pull over on top of a white oxford. Pairing the hat with something more traditional, even a set of pearls, can be a mix that promises a look that is both classy and unexpected.

3. The Go-getter: Go practical by pairing a cap of any style with a shift dress and Converses or combat boots. This look makes sense while still being fashionable for that run around the city or a night of midterm cramming. This combo lets you stay comfy while looking put together, and who wants to miss out on an opportunity to rep their favorite sports team?

4. A pop of color: Try highlighting your cap by making it the focal point of your entire outfit. Pair a brightly colored or even studded hat with an entirely black outfit. By choosing a more noticeable cap paired with a muted outfit you add sophistication to a casual piece.

5. Cool but casual: We love baseball caps for their girl-next-door vibe and just sporty enough attitude. For your down days, pair a cap with your boyfriend jeans, a classic tee, and a few layered necklaces. We may be borrowing this look from the boys but I don’t think we will be giving it back any time soon. 

Emerson contributor