This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, you may either feel so in love, incredibly alone, or simply unaffected by this holiday. Some people may have plans to go out on a fancy date with a significant other, while others may be wallowing around, pigging out to chick-flicks or romcoms or simply going about the day like any other. No matter what you choose to do, I thought it would be interesting to ask women for their opinion on the holiday: Boys, Candy, Both, or Neither?

Boys

Ahhh boys, whether you are pining after that hunk or that endearing man who knows how to treat a woman right (they exist…I think), boys are always nice to have around during this holiday. Sarai Uesato a current college student said, “I’m more for boys. I can buy myself candy any time during the year and it’s easy to get. I’m currently a single Pringle so I don’t currently have a man.” She further explains that “Even though Valentine’s Day is alright spending time with the girls, but it would be nice to have a boy or even just an interest in Valentine’s Day.”

Candy

Oooo the sweet taste of candy that always knows where to hit the spot. Those in favor of candy said that candy is like a dear friend that is always there for them. Quinn Chao explains that “Candy has never let me down.” Abby Gutowski, proudly also chose candy, saying “I’m a lesbian, and I love candy.”

Both

For some boys are candy, they are oh so sweet and nice to look at. Boys that bring candy are even better than either of them alone. You literally get the best of both worlds. Maysoon Khan says that she would choose both because “one I love candy, who doesn’t love sweet stuff, and two if there’s a guy involved, and you’re into that, boys are a nice addition.”

Neither  

Some people are on the fence. Madison Seto chose neither but maybe candy. She said, “Basically I celebrate Galentine’s Day. I like to give Valentines to my friends because I love them and don’t always know how to put my love and appreciation for them in words, so I do this instead. I also love pink, hearts, and glitter, so this is a great occasion to use all of that.” Jayne Hoagbin, on the other hand chose neither because “there is no boy in my life that’s here to stay (to my knowledge) and I’m more excited about Girl Scout cookies and other sweets.” Jayne went on to say that although she doesn’t necessarily want boys or candy, she isn’t opposed to boys bringing her flowers on Valentine’s Day.

Although this is a holiday for love,Valentine’s Day shouldn’t only be a holiday for loving a significant other. It should be a holiday for all types of love: self-love, love for friends and family, or love for the world. Whatever love you want it to be, show it to the people who matter most to you. They’ll probably think you’re weird or crazy for being extremely sappy for expressing your love for them, but deep down, even though they’ll try to hide it, they’ll love it, and you, even more.

I am a Journalism major with minors in Environmental Studies and Economics. I am originally from O‘ahu, Hawai‘i and I love writing about the environment, health, and culture.