This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dear Emerson College,

It truly has been a journey. If you told me this time last year that I was transferring, I wouldn’t believe you. I would be so confused and disappointed that my experience at my prior dream school wasn’t everything I hoped it would be. At the same time, I also never thought I would be known as the girl that walks through the Boston Common with a life-size John Mulaney cutout, but that’s a story for another time. Looking back at all my experiences, good and bad, I would not trade a single moment for the world. 

First of all, I want to say thank you. You have given me the courage to be who I am, and I have learned so much about myself and others. Being at Emerson, I gained the confidence to go outside my comfort zone. I had to become someone I wasn’t, to fully realize and understand who I am. I’ve also learned that the future is unpredictable. Someone can be a huge part of your life for a really long time, but this does not mean they need to be a part of your life forever. This past year and a half, I have had people walk in and out of my life. Every person that I have interacted with has taught me a sincere lesson that caused me to work on myself and come out on the other side stronger than before. If you are one of those people, I appreciate you for playing such a large role in my journey of becoming who I am, and also giving me the character development I didn’t know I needed. 

In these past three semesters, I have also learned how to love, support, and appreciate others. I was going into this past semester thinking to myself, I don’t want to be here anymore, I’m just going to get through it as fast as possible and transfer in the spring. However, this semester turned out to be so much more than just a few months of me being at a pitstop. Over the course of these past few months, I have met so many genuine and kind-hearted people. People who have taught me what true friendship looks like, and people who have made me laugh harder than ever before.  

You have given me so many unforgettable experiences. I never thought I would get the courage to perform stand-up comedy in front of a large audience; not to mention, being a part of Stand-Up in the Park has led me to make so many unforgettable memories and unlikely connections with remarkable people. 

There were so many times where I thought things would never get better. I thought for the longest time that I wouldn’t be okay on my own, and that I would never become someone who truly loved themselves. If myself from a year ago looked at me now, I would be so proud of who I have become. The worst times have turned into laughable moments (and stand-up comedy routines), and most importantly, everything that has happened has led me to transfer to a place where I know I belong. I cannot wait to experience everything I have ever wanted in a place where I feel confident, welcomed, and certain I will thrive. 

Thank you Emerson College for showing me who I am, so I am now able to take the person I have become and excel. 

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Albahary 

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Albahary and I am a sophomore Visual Media Arts Major at Emerson College! This is my first year being a part of Her Campus, however, I was a proud member of my school's newspaper in High School. Some of my interests include: acting, writing, directing, and singing.