5 Must-Have Coat Trends for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Fall is in the air and by that, I mean you can smell the Pumpkin Spice lattes from a mile away. As the leaves begin to crunch under your booties make sure these coat staples are in your closet to take you through the fall winter/season in style. I dare you not to fall for these 5 coat trends.

1. The Coatagin – A mix between a coat and a cardigan. Great for layering later in the season or even with a lighter scarf now. Throw it on and have everyone drooling over your effortlessly thrown together sweater look – or is it a coat?

2. The Staple – We’re bringing leather back, but did it really ever go anywhere? This is the perfect basic for Boston weather and promises to keep any outfit paired with it, chic, and protected from the elements.

3. The Mash up – Two-toned coats are your best friends for the impending fall weather. Try a quilted base with leather sleeves or maybe a jersey knit sleeve with some leather paneling. Don’t they say two is always better than one? We sure think so.

4. The Big Spender – For those girls wishing they had been at New York Fashion week instead of class. Fur is everywhere. Faux or not, avoid being a faux pas with this addition to your wardrobe. Pair this ornate jacket option with something a little more muted on the bottom; maybe black skinnies and ankle boots. It’s sure to keep you warm and turn heads.

5. The Nancy Drew – Every girl needs a trench; whether you’re trailing the streets or attempting to hide from the people at Starbucks who have already seen you six times today, do it in one of the coat world’s most seasoned designs. And with a light-weight, water proof number, you’re solving the mystery of mastering layers, and for that Nancy Drew has nothing on you.

Emerson contributor