5 Essentials for the Winter Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter isn’t just fast approaching, it’s already here. And while the last few leaves make their way to the ground, you might be ready to shed your traditional intern wear for proper winter attire. Don’t cry, your tears will probably freeze anyway.  Her Campus has you covered with these 5 essentials for being a winter intern fashionista and beating the cold.

The Fleece Lined Tight or Legging: It is hard to justify buying all new clothes for one season. Try to extend the wear on some of your already owned staple pieces by adding this fuzzy and warm layer underneath. By pairing these with dresses and skirts you already have, you can make your wardrobe options last longer and still be cozy. Now you can wear that floral dress you love all the way until March!

The Sweater Dress: This look says cute, warm, and put together. This is also the perfect piece for a busy intern because now you only have one piece to worry about. No need to pick out a top and bottom to match. Throw this on with heeled ankle boots for an “I mean business” look that will keep the cold out but your feminine side in with a wide array of patterns and cuts to play with. 

The Cropped Sweater: Cropped sweaters are going to be your best friend this winter season. Sweaters can often seem frumpy and too casual, but look for cropped styles that can easily be put on over top a pencil skirt or even a streamlined dress. By pairing this look with a chunky statement necklace and a tighter skirt on bottom, you will keep from looking baggy and give sweaters a new name.

The Heeled Ankle Boot: Winter is the best season for a chunkier heel. Want to be comfortable around the office and not quite ready to brave the snow in stilettos? Look for an ankle boot with a chunky or even wedged heel with some grip on the bottom. There are also great warmer materials like suede and leather that can rough and tough it on the city streets and keep your outfit looking chic.

The Pea Coat: Who says the walk to work can’t be just as fashionable as your strut in the office? Bundle up in a crisp and structured pea coat that will keep you from shivering and protect your clothes from the brisk wind and probably snow outside. You don’t want to downplay all the work of choosing an outfit by piling on some bulky and unflattering top layer. Try this for a look of sophistication that says “I’m ready for a salary, please. ”

Emerson contributor