A College Guide to Midterms

Surprise, this isn’t about college exams. Nope, this is about the political midterm elections that are happening soon! I know as a college student, I don’t really focus much on elections. The only ones that I really care about are those fateful ones that determine who our president will be. I’m too worried about papers, exams, projects, etc.. I always think that I don’t have to worry about it because it doesn’t really affect me, and I’ll always vote when I get older. BUT GUESS WHAT?! It does affect me. I am older. It affects everyone that is an American. So, because the midterm elections are coming up, and they’ll be here sooner than we think, here are a few steps and tips to help you get ready to vote on November 6, 2018!

Step One: REGISTER TO VOTE

It is one of our most patriotic rights that we have as American citizens. It keeps our government in our hands.

Step Two: RESEARCH YOUR CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT

This will lead you to who is already in power and who is the challenging candidates.

Pitt County, it is split between district 1 and 2 depending on where you live!

Step Three: KNOW YOUR CANDIDATES

This is one of the most important steps that you can take into creating a future you want. It lets us know who our country is going to be run by, the policies they wish to place, and what they want to do with our local communities (and helps stop from putting a Cheeto colored man with fake hair and tiny hands to be put into power).

For Pitt County:

District 1: incumbent is G.K Butterfield (D)

challenger is Roger W. Allison (R).

District 2: incumbent is George Holding (R)

challengers include Allen Chesser (R), Linda Coleman (D),

Wendy Ella May (D), Ken Romley (D), Jeff Matemu (Libertarian)

Step Four: FIND LOCAL VOTING LOCATIONS & TIMES

Finding your local voting location help you get your voice heard. This is where you cast your ballot! You’ve done your research, you have who you think would be best for our state. It’s time to make your opinion heard.

Step Five: BREATHE!

You’ve done it! You’ve voted, you have impacted our history. Keep an eye out for the results, but know you’ve done everything you can to change, not only yours, but the fate of our government and country. Go get some froyo!