This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Happy Halloween!

As a huge fan of horror movies, Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year (I have the perfect reason to convince my friends to watch horror films with me:)

If you are not in the mood of partying on Halloween night this year, grab some popcorn and watch some Halloween movies with your friends! If you are a horror movie fan like me, check out list A! If you want to watch some spooky but not scary Halloween films, list B is for you!  

List A: Horror

1. Halloween (1978)

What’s better than watching Halloween on Halloween! On a Halloween night, a six-year-old boy murdered his sister and was sent to prison. After 15 years, the boy was released from prison on Halloween night, and he begins to find his new victims.

2. Alien (1979)

In their journey home, the crew of a commercial starship discovered unknown living beings in space. Driven by their curiosity, the crew eventually realized that the creature is more dangerous than they thought …

3. The Shining (1980)

Another absolute classic horror film! I’ve watched The Shining over 5 times, but I still want to watch it again! The story is quite simple: a family stays in a hotel alone during the winter, but horror and blood from the past starts to haunt them down

4. The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

College students. Forest Cabins. Zombies. As a college student myself, it’s so easy to place myself into the shoes of the protagonists in the film, who spends their vacation in forest cabins. Then, strange things start to happen…

5. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

Not a fan of Roman Polanski but definitely a fan of his horror films. The story is about a young couple moving into an apartment in Manhattan. While their eccentric neighbors seem very friendly, strange things begin to happen…

6. Ring (1998)

I always find Japanese horror films the scariest. Ring is one of those films that keep me awake at night. The movie is about a cursed videotape and whoever watches the tape will receive a call that informs them that they will die in a week. Determined to find the origin of this cursed tape, a reporter begins the journey of tracking down the tape…

7. Ju-On: The Grudge (2002)

This is the only film on this list that I did not personally watch. I watched the trailer and decided that I am still not ready for this movie… Why? Watch the trailer and you will know why.

List B: Spooky but Not Scary

8. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

I am not usually a mockumentary person, but I can watch What We Do in the Shadow over and over again! It follows the lives of four vampire flatmates trying to adjust to a modern lifestyle. It’s not scary at all and it will make you laugh!

9. Young Frankenstein (1974)

If you are a fan of Frankenstein, then you have to watch Young Frankenstein, a funny remake of the original Frankenstein.

10. Ghostbusters (1984)

The perfect film for Halloween! A movie about starting a business that helps people get rid of ghosts…   

11. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

Another horror comedy movie! A family goes on a trip but encounters a haunted house…

12. Coco (2017)

If you haven’t already, watch Coco, a heartwarming story of a boy visiting the Land of Dead and unlocks the stories of his ancestors.

Happy movie watching!

Yao

Duke '23