10 Halloween Movies I Like, So Will You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Halloweentown High

Rating: 8/10 

Out of all the Halloweentowns, this one is my favorite. Marnie, the main character, is now in high school and she has been given the task of housing kids from Halloweentown and assimilating them into the human world. Marnie, who along with her grandmother and mother, is one of the most powerful witches, takes this as her opportunity to prove that Halloweentown residents (“monsters” for lack of a better word) can coexists with humans in their world. My favorite part of this movie (“spoiler alert”) is when they go to their hideout in the school behind the lockers and take off their human disguises.

Twitches

Rating: 9/10

Now this is one of my favorite movies. I have a sister and when this movie came out we felt like it was made just for us. TWIN WITCHES! TWITCHES! Because there were two, we each had one that we could relate you to.  I was, of course, Artemis/Alex because she was a night owl, worked hard and loved to write. My sister was Apolla (can’t remember her other name), because she got up early and loved to draw. This movie was about two girls finding out they were twins and then witches and that their birth place is in danger and only they can save it. Anything with sisterhood and magic, I’m in!

Hocus Pocus

Rating: 9/10

This is my favorite Halloween movie, like nothing tops this. It’s a classic. Everything about the Sanderson sisters were perfect. The “I Put a Spell on You” and “Come Little Children” performances were amazing and made the movie for me. The story itself was amazing! I honestly have nothing more to say besides the fact that every aspect of this movie was great and if you haven’t watched it you should.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Rating: 6/10

So out of Jason and Freddy, I have always chosen Freddy. He is way scarier than Jason and for anyone who doubts it here is why: Freddy gets to you in your dreams, which means you can’t go to go to sleep, because if you sleep you dream and if you dream you die. Then when you dream, he can do anything and everything he wants to you, because he is all powerful in the dream world. However, I will say the graphics and acting was pretty bad. Then there is the fact that Freddy was murdered by the parents of the children he allegedly molested. Like YIKES!

A Cabin in the Woods

Rating: 10/10

At first sight this movie just seems like another scary movie about some dumb kids in the woods. However, there is so much more to this movie. It unravels a big conspiracy that basically we are all in a simulation for someone or something else’s entertainment. They make this funny high guy say these conspiracy theories and no one takes him seriously and brushes it aside with “Stop smoking…”. Then in the end all is revealed and it turns out he was right all along, while also painting weed in a positive light. Yay!

Jeepers Creepers

Rating: 6/10

So, this is one of the first scary movies I’ve ever seen and as a child it terrified me. The movie is about some type of demon monster that rises every 23 spring on the 23rd day and basically eats people. However, he only preys on the people who fear him. To some this may seem like a loophole, but when you see him it’s hard not to be scared and then you see his lair and him literally eating a tongue out of severed head; it’s kind of hard to not be scared. Then there is the fact that he has a theme song, so whenever you hear that song, you know he is coming and it happens to be one of the eeriest songs I’ve ever heard. Overall the movie is good, it’s scary with a good enough story. However, it is an old movie, so the graphics are bad, but it’s a classic so I recommend watching it; just not alone.

Casper

Rating: 8/10

I LOVE Casper! As a child, I honestly couldn’t get enough of him. He is known formally as Caper the Friendly Ghost and that is such an honest description. He is the sweetest little ghost and he is so cute with his big round head. He has 3 mean uncles who try to turn Casper into a “real” ghosts, but Casper doesn’t take to that way of life so they ostracize him. Usually Casper is befriending humans usually the age that he was when he died. All the Casper movies are amazing and are great family movies.

The Little Vampire

Rating: 9/10

This is another one of my favorite Disney Channel Halloween movies. The main character is the same little boy from Stuart Little which just added to me liking the movie more. The movie is about a little boy who just moved to Scotland and is having a hard time making friends. He ends up meeting and befriending a lonely vampire child who needs help getting back to his family. Turns out the family is being hunted by this awful vampire hunter who is taken as a joke throughout Scotland. So, we go through the journey of saving this beautiful vampire family with Tony (the human little boy). It’s a beautiful story and great for watching with family.

Coraline

Rating: 10/10

Everything about this movie is amazing. The animation is crazy and way before its time. The story has a lot of twist and turns and really builds up the anticipation from beginning to end. The movie is about a girl who is new in town trying to find something to do while her parents are busy working. She ends up exploring her new big creepy house and the surrounding neighborhood. She encounters a man who is cast off as crazy because he spends his time talking and training mice for a circus. Then there are the retired acrobat women who live downstairs with their multiple dogs (alive and stuffed). Lastly, she meets the weird kid Wybee and the neighborhood cat he has befriended. The next time they meet Wybee gives Coraline a doll, that looks just like her (exact clothes and everything), that he found in his Grandma’s things. This is when things get weird! She is woken in the night by the jumping mice (yes, the ones that they man upstairs is training) to a door that she thought was bordered up but now had a tunnel that led to an alternate world that is exactly like her’s except everyone has eyes for buttons and everything there is grand, vibrant, and fun. She loves it so much that she keeps visiting until it is proposed that she stay there forever, but to do that she must get buttons sewn into her eyes! Yikes! This is when the movie gets dark, but in the end, it all works out. If you want a movie that keeps you on your toes from start to finish this is it, plus it is family friendly and teaches a very valuable lesson about life.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Rating: 4/10

Alright, I’m not going to lie the movie itself isn’t the best. The story is a little confusing because there are a couple of potholes.The acting isn’t all that good either. However, if you are looking for a good blood and gore scary movie, (which is my favorite type of scary movie) this is it. There really isn’t much to this movie besides the fact that some teens drive down some backwoods roads stop and get caught up in this murderous family’s rampage and try to escape their house or more like town of horrors.

Current Duke Senior majoring in Video Game Design.