summer girl hawaii yoga hiking exercise view high res version
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Finding Inner Peace Amidst a World of Chaos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Living in a fast-paced society has trained our minds to live in the future, as well as the past, but nowhere near the present. 

There have been a variety of instances where I’ve found myself focusing on past mistakes or thinking about what my life could’ve been like if I had taken a different step forward. This mindset is not only dismissive, but it lacks compassion. I’m sure most of us can think about a time where we should’ve thought before we spoke, or perhaps acted in a different manner. However, imagine how liberating it would feel to simply thank ourselves for being in this very moment. In other words, to speak to ourselves with grace, and let the “what-ifs” come to a stop. 

While this is easier said than done, being an active listener towards my thoughts and emotions has led me to find great peace. Finding peace is an individualized act, and may mean a variety of things for every human. For some, it may mean traveling, going to the beach, surrounding themselves with animals, journaling, sleeping, attending therapy––the list goes on. Additionally, it’s important to emphasize that this journey to inner-peace may take some trial and error. 

indoor yoga
Zen Bear Yoga via splash
Taking care of myself and leaning into the present moment looks different every day because my needs differ on a daily basis. Listening to my body in its entirety may mean going to the gym, while the next day it may mean taking a catnap after my classes. Whatever it may be, listen to that intuition and act on it, and remember, only you know the depth of your emotions and your needs. 

Taking a nap, playing with your cat, or going to the gym are all forms of relaxation, however, they may not always be an option. This realization led me to embark on a search to find ways I can feel peace that will be of access to me at all times. Beginning this search invited me to look inward and ponder my needs. I’ve found that I look to external factors for comfort, but this process of finding inner-peace has allowed me to realize that we do, in fact, have the power to be a cushion for ourselves. 

Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Pausing, locating the emotion in your body, and breathing through it, has been one of the ways I’ve been able to access inner-peace at any moment during the day. Reminding myself that no emotion is permanent––the good and the bad is not only vital in this process, but it’s incredibly empowering. Listening to your body may place you in a position of discomfort, but that’s okay; befriend your discomfort and get to know them! 

Mindfulness, meditation, and breathing through emotions are all practices that cannot be taken away from you, meaning, they will always be accessible to you. In a world where we’re onto the next best thing before completing the first, finding peace within you, as well as around you, will help aide your success. Make a promise to take care of YOU. 

Hello! I'm a student at the University of Denver pursuing a major in Sociology alongside a minor in wellness! I hope to inspire others through my writing and empower womxn everywhere.
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.