This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Sufjan Stevens is a 44 year-old indie singer from Detroit Michigan. He became better known to more people because he wrote several songs for Call Me By Your Name, including “Mystery of Love” and “Visions of Gideon.” Sufjan is known for beautiful lyrics that weave metaphors and imagery together as well as blending aspects of indie and electronica. His songs often contain religious themes and some have gay subtext.

Sufjan’s music has had a huge emotional impact on my life, and his music is amazing for colder weather. As the temperature winds down and snow begins to fall, here are some Sujan Stevens songs to get you feeling cozy.

“The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out To Get Us” – Sufjan Stevens, Illionois

Sufjan sings about his childhood love and how it changed him. This song is great for fall because it captures the joy of the changing leaves and colors. It has a gentle sound that will surround you and calm your post week five anxiety.

“The Only Thing” – Sufjan Stevens, Carrie & Lowell

This heartbreaking song about grief and depression is not only a great song for crying at 3 A.M.; it is perfect for walking outside during fall when it’s a bit darker outside and the air whips around, but you have your music and beanie so it’s okay.

“Tahquamenon Falls” – Sufjan Stevens, Michigan

This short instrumental track is supposed to be an aural representation of Tahquamenon Falls in Michigan, but it also sounds like snow falling. It’s light, cheerful, and mysterious.

“To Be Alone With You” – Sufjan Stevens, Seven Swans

This song mashes themes of sacrifice and secret love, as many Sufjan songs do. It’s a soft song that comforts you while the snow falls, similarly to “The Only Thing.” However, this one features a more bare voice, and the less production makes it seem more intimate.

“Impossible Soul” – Sufjan Stevens, Age of Adz

This is my favorite song by Sufjan. Don’t let the 23-minute duration scare you: the song is divided into 5 smaller sections that are all unique and beautiful. The story goes through the feelings and thoughts of someone going through the 5 steps of grief after a failed relationship. Parts are full of joy, another mysterious, another comforting. It reproduces the different feelings of autumn in one beautiful song.

If you wish to listen to it as a playlist, check it out on Spotify!

Second-year at DU majoring in film production and international studies and minoring in Spanish. I am also currently learning Mandarin and I love learning languages! I also sing in the women's choir and DU, love spending time with my friends and watching movies all the time! I also love learning about astrology and philosophy!
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.