3 Tips For Surviving Study Abroad FOMO

If you’re a junior on campus fall quarter, you feel like you’re marooned on an island. Virtually everyone you know is having the times of their lives in Fiji, or Spain, or Kenya. Suddenly it’s not just blogs and celebrity that are on fantastic adventures, it’s your BFF taking a cute picture of herself in a coffee shop in France or exploring Istanbul, Turkey. It can be easy to be bogged down by some serious Study-Abroad-FOMO, so here are a few tips to getting through the difficult days.

Make Friends in Other Years

Image Credit: @uofdenver on Instagram

This can be the perfect opportunity to branch out and meet new people. Sure, it can feel a little weird during syllabus week to be virtually the only person in class who says they’re a junior, but the beauty of college is that none of that matters. Introduce yourself to the person you’re sitting next to. If someone brought up an interesting point during discussion, let them know during the half-class-break. Check out club events, there are always flyers posted, and find people with common interests. Who knows? It could be the start of a new lifelong friendship!

Become Involved On Campus

Image Credit: @ducommons on Instagram

Being one of the only juniors can feel like a muted O-Week. This is the perfect opportunity to try out new volunteering experiences and clubs and create new memories! Never been to a volleyball game? Go to one! See if the Sustainability Office needs a hand. Ask a favorite advisor or professor if they have any cool research ideas. Maybe even write for Her Campus DU? ;)

Go On Adventures

Image Credit: 10 Facts About Denver

Just because you’re not hiking the Alps or riding an elephant in Cambodia doesn’t mean you can’t have your own Instagram-worthy adventures. An exciting activity is pretending you’re a tourist in your own hometown. Even if you’ve lived near Denver your whole life, this area has a multitude of fun places to visit. Stop in for a treat at the bakery on Larimer. Get lost in the stacks at Tattered Cover Books. When was the last time you went to see a play, or visited a museum, or attended a football game? Fill your weekends with exciting little excursions so you can swap stories with your friends when they get back home!