This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Ever get lost in the thrift store, and don’t know what department to look in first? Whether it is looking for a specific brand or style, check out these tips for the ultimate shopping experience.

Map

Image Courtesy of Philly Aids Thrift

Search your nearest thrift stores. Is it a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or locally owned? For starters, visit a consignment store to get the feel for sorting through clothes. Also use reviews on Yelp to read what other people have to say before you get there!

Check your closet

Image Courtesy of Cladwell

What pieces are you lacking? Move into the summer time with some new cutoff jean short Levi’s. Take out those old sweaters you barely wear and bring them to donation drop off. You never know who will find that old Abercrombie and Fitch knit sweater as the best thrift find. Recycling is key people.

Trend Forecasting

Image Courtesy of StylishlyMe

See what’s going on in the fashion world! Dad sneakers, bright colors, and baggy silhouettes are in. Just check out Instagram with the vintage fashion trends and have your own take with it. See a piece that has a DIY potential, don’t be afraid to put that piece in your cart.

Mobile Apps

Image Courtesy of BusinessofApps

Apps like Depop and Etsy can help you out with what vintage retailers are selling at the moment. Also look out for retailer aesthetics, do they inspire you or turn you off? Think about if you really get into thrifting and want to sell your own clothes one day.

Check it out

Image Courtesy of The Blondera

Once you have picked out a good pair of jeans check out the quality. Stains? Unnecessary rips? Weirdly enough check the pockets, we don’t want to find anything mysterious. If you see one stain, don’t buy it. Thinking you can get it out with a Tide pen? More often than not those stains have been there for probably a long time.

Narrow Down

Image Courtesy of Two Stylish Kays

Okay, so now you have a dozen pieces in your cart, or maybe not. Narrow down your finds in a yes and no pile. Ask yourself if you could really see yourself wearing it, instead of liking the piece just for its funky pattern. We don’t want another article of clothing collecting dust in our closets.

Take these tips on your next thrift venture!! Go find those trendy finds, you got it girl!

Zara Barrett is a Design and Merchandising student at Drexel University. She loves all things fashion, beauty, and health.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.