Best Fitness Classes At Drexel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With the likes of boutique workout classes popping up everywhere, from SoulCycle to boxing, going to a trendy place to sweat is in. But, as a girl who loves to attend these classes, it’s hard on a college budget. Although these group exercises are fun, hard, and above all “cool,” they are expensive. As a student, I can’t be spending $30 dollars for a 45-minute workout class. That’s where Drexel’s recreation center comes in. As a Drexel student, you have access to many of the same workout classes, for free. The instructors are fun, upbeat, and most of all, challenge you.

Image courtesy of XSport Fitness

If you are looking for a team atmosphere, try out Shockwave. The base of Shockwave’s workout is a rowing machine. Surrounding the rowing machines are different stations where everyone is pushing themselves with planks, burpees, etc. There is one rule with Shockwave: you stop when the rowers stop. That means yelling and encouraging each other, making people you may have just met, one team.

Feeling a little more adventurous? Try the dance-based workout classes offered! If you are searching for an upbeat cardio workout, try Zumba. Zumba is a fun, aerobic workout that challenges you by making you focus on the dance rather than the workout. It’s a great way to work out but feel like you are not doing the same dreaded routine. If you want to try something a bit calmer, try Barre. It is a ballet-themed workout where little movements and pulses make this one a burner. If you love to feel “the burn”, I definitely recommend Barre.

Image courtesy of Studio Fitness Victoria

Try BodyCombat if you’re ready to find your inner badass through a full body workout. BodyCombat is a karate, kickboxing-inspired class. You’ll be spending one hour kicking and punching to the beat of the music that you won’t even feel like you are working out. Another full body workout, is BodyPump. BodyPump takes traditional gym workouts and adds a twist to it. By incorporating music into the workout, you complete the moves to the beat of the music.

Along with these specialty workout classes, Drexel offers traditional workout classes as well. The recreation center offers three types of yoga – vinyasa, flow and power yoga. Vinyasa is basic yoga, the most popular yoga practice. Flow yoga is a calm, slow-paced yoga, and power yoga is a high intensity yoga. Practicing yoga is very personal, so pick a class that best suits you. Drexel also offers spin classes, and target specific classes like core and kettlebell.

The Drexel recreation center has it all. Every workout you can try out something new and exciting that will challenge you. Instead of going to the traditional gym, try out Drexel’s workout classes!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.