Life > Experiences

5 Steps You Need to Take Before Opening Your Own Etsy Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

You have this great product you’ve created, and you want to put it out there for others to buy. So, you decide to open an Etsy shop. Easy, right? Unfortunately, in reality, there’s a lot you have to plan and consider before you can actually become a seller. So, here is a comprehensive list of steps you should take before taking the plunge and opening your store that I wish I knew before doing so myself.

1. Pick out your store name and design a logo.

This is one of the most important steps, because your name and logo are your whole brand. This is what customers will first see when on your Etsy page, and it will make a lasting impression. The logo should be something that matches the style of the products you are trying to sell. If you are selling primarily pet products, for example, consider incorporating some animal spots into your logo. Luckily, Etsy has some tips on how to give your store a memorable name, which is good because this is the only thing about your store you can only change once before it becomes permanent. Everything else, including your logo, can be changed as many times as you’d like after you create your store.

2. Photograph your product.

Take at least 2-3 pictures of your product in natural lighting. If you have good lighting, you don’t need anything more than your smartphone. If you’re photographing some kind of jewelry or clothing, definitely include a picture of the product on a display stand or on a model.

3. Decide on prices.

There’s a lot to think about when it comes to pricing your item. Keep track of how much your supplies cost and how long it takes to make one product, then use a cost calculator like this to determine what you will be charging for each one. It may seem higher than you were expecting, but don’t sell you or your work short. Your pricing will still be competitive with other Etsy sellers. Keep in mind that Etsy also keeps a percentage of your profits, so you may have to adjust prices if you’re looking to make a specific amount for yourself.

4. Buy packaging and shipping supplies.

If you don’t buy boxes and shipping tape ahead of time, someone may purchase your item and you won’t have the means to send it to them, causing a delay in shipment. While customers on Etsy are generally very kind in their reviews, this would probably be one of the only causes for a negative review of your store. Either that, or a broken product—so make sure you buy bubble wrap or padding if your product is fragile. Luckily, Etsy will calculate the shipping costs for you as long as you know the size and weight of your box, which is why you should purchase a small scale as well.

5. Design a business card.

This isn’t a necessary step for opening your store, but is still a nice touch. If you have business cards on hand, you can include one in every box you ship with a handwritten note on the back thanking the customer for their order. It will just add to the personal relationship between the individual seller and consumer that draws people to buy things from Etsy in the first place.

These steps may seem daunting, but if you have already taken the time to make a great product, you should take the time to make a great store to sell it in as well. It’ll all be worth it when you get your first purchase! Good luck, readers and future sellers!

Her Campus Drexel contributor.