Greek Week Comes to Dickinson!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

Greek Week is coming to Dickinson this Saturday (October 1st)! If you’re not quite sure what Greek Week is, it’s a weeklong celebration for Fraternities and Sororities that allows them to come together and show off their Greek pride. What isn’t to like about a weeklong celebration? Some of the highlights are the Torch Run through each chapter house and a dunk tank and pies in the face on Britton Plaza.

I sat down with Hannah Trusty ‘17, who is running the event this year, to get the details about its formation and what to expect.

HC: Greek Week stopped happening a few years back and now it’s starting up again. Why is the administration more open to bringing it back now?

HT: James Higgins [‘17] was really pushing for it [to happen] and he got me and a few other people involved to help get it started. With everything that’s been going on lately [regarding the status of Greek Life at Dickinson], especially with the formation of the Blue Ribbon committee last year, it’s felt like there hasn’t been a really positive relationship between Greeks and the administration. Greek Week is our chance to change that and really show that Greeks love Dickinson and Dickinson loves Greeks!

HC: What are some of the events you are most excited about?

HT: The Torch Run is going be really fun! Each chapter will pass the torch on and run it past their chapter house. I also love volleyball, so I can’t wait for the volleyball tournament on the beach volleyball court.

HC: Can independents participate in any of the events?

HT: The philanthropy events during the day are for a great cause and anyone can participate. Dunk tanks and pies in the face are always a good time, whether you’re involved in a Greek organization or not.  Only Greeks can participate in the actual competitions, but most of the fun is watching! A big part of Greek Week is showing freshman what Greek life is all about, so we really encourage them to come.

HC: What exactly are the fraternities and Sororities competing for, other than bragging rights of course?

HT: We got three trophies that can be re-engraved every year. There is one for the top sorority, one for the top fraternity and one for the overall winner.

Images: 1

Dickinson College '19