5 Activities to Do Before The End of Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

It’s the beginning of September, school started and the summer’s about to end. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t have a little fun before the season ends. Below I created a list of 5 activities you can do before the end of the summer.

Read a Book

Reading is one of the oldest modes of entertainment which can get lost in our current world of technology. But reading a book is one of the surest ways of having fun and traveling from anywhere in the world (even during COVID). Some of my favorite books are Silent Honor by Danielle Steel and The Chosen by Arthur Golden, which tells the stories of a Japanese exchange student in 1920s California during Pearl Harbor and a Jewish boy who experiences a coming-of-age in 1940s Brooklyn, New York. You can start reading for free using free pdf sites like openlibrary.org, manybooks.net, and bookhub.com. Also, if you’re a student you can get a free amazon prime membership just by using your school email so you can order books online with free expedited shipping.

Create an End-of-Summer Playlist

Creating playlists for special moments has been a tradition ever since it started on those cheesy teen romance movies, but they weren’t wrong. Everyone loves a good playlist and they love it more when there’s a meaning behind its creation. What will be your meaning? What do you want to remember about this summer? What vibes and feelings do you want to bring with you into the next season? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself when creating your personalized playlist. But most of all, have fun with it! This is your playlist that you can bring anywhere with you, so make sure to add positive and inspirational songs when you start thinking back to summer vibes.

Wear your Best and Favorite Summer Clothes

End-of-summer means end-of-summer clothes so now is the time to wear your favorite summer clothes before the season ends. Shorts, tank tops, flip flops, sunglasses, anything that you won’t wear in the fall you have to wear now before the weather gets cold. You can even make it fun by theming outfits in summer colors like an all-blue or an all-orange outfit.

Clean out your Closet

Over the summer it’s been a trend among everyone to start cleaning out their messy spaces, from bedrooms to garages and from pantries to purses it’s been done everywhere. Furthermore, now that the seasons are changing your closet should too. Start switching out your summer closet for a fall wardrobe. If you’re late to the organizing trend you can use the time switching out your closet to organize your wardrobe and donate any clothes you don’t need, wear or want anymore. 

Stay up to Watch the Sunrise

Finally, one of the coolest things you can do at the end of the summer is also one of the freest: watching the sunrise. For me this is easy but I always miss it because it’s hard for me to sleep with the light out so I always sleep before it comes. But if you want to stay up to watch the sunrise you can do different activities to stay productive, like completing school work and exercise or just binge-watch your favorite TV show, whichever works for you. While waiting for the sun can be a long wait you can check to see when it’ll come up by checking the weather app on your phone. Moreover, when the sun comes now is the time to take beautiful pictures, you don’t even need to use a filter!

It’s unfortunate that summer wasn’t what we all expected it to be but we can all agree it was an unforgettable one. Although everyone was (and still might be) quarantined at home we all hung in there and stayed strong by encouraging one another to stay productive but also care for oneself and others. Transitioning into the fall season with school starting won’t be easy but it’s possible because we proved that we can succeed with togetherness in the summer and we will continue that into the fall. 

Celebrate the end of summer and stay strong and healthy!

I'm a junior at Delaware State University majoring in New Media in Arts and minoring in Entrepreneurship. I like drawing, language learning, and binge-watching Law and Order: SVU. Although, I'm new to writing articles I hope you all enjoy my writing!