How to Make the Most of Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The semester is coming to an end, and we are all preparing for summer. A lot of people are doing amazing research and internships or spending time traveling to incredible places around the world. But some of us, including myself, might have some spare time. So, once you get tired of binge-watching your favorite shows on Netflix, here are some ways that you can make the most of your summer break!

1. Go outside!

This should go without saying, but enjoying the outside is a great way to have a nice summer! We’ve all been waiting through this long, cold winter for some warm weather, and it won’t last all year. Let’s enjoy it while we can. Grab some friends and throw a frisbee or take your dog for a walk! Or, if you still want to relax, have a picnic and lay out in the sun!  

2. Read a book! Or two or three…

When I was a kid, I used to love reading – because I had time for it! With as much reading that we do in school, it’s hard to find time to read for fun, so pick up a book or two this summer while you have the time!

3. Take up a new hobby

It’s always fun to try something new and learn about something that you’ve never done before! Here are some ideas for new hobbies to try:

• Photography
  • Learn how to cook or bake
  • Start a garden
  • Make jewelry
  • Learn how to play an instrument

4. Sports!

There’s no better way to enjoy the outdoors while getting some exercise than by playing sports! There are so many options for the summer! You can swim, bike, hike, run, or play a game with some friends!

5. Keep a journal

One way to make the most of your summer is by keeping a journal so you can record your thoughts and ideas. The summer is the perfect time to start keeping a journal because you get to write for fun instead of for a grade! Keeping a journal is also a great way to clear your head and relax your mind. Write down those bright ideas of yours! 

6. Set goals for yourself

It’s easy to think that you’ll be productive over summer, and it’s another thing to actually stick to it the whole time! One way to motivate yourself is by setting goals for what you want to accomplish by the end of summer, or you can just write down a list of things that you want to do by the end of summer break. Make sure to write these goals down so that you don’t forget. It’s easier to make the most of your summer when you have something you want to accomplish!

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.