Embracing the Black Diaspora

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Ever since the start of the #BlackLivesMatter movement in 2012, blacks all over the world started to really embrace their culture and what it means to truly be black. With all the oppression against blacks going on today, blacks have been finding ways to express themselves through fashion. From beautiful natural afros to wearing traditional African clothing, here are a few items that express the black diaspora culture. 

Terrence Davidson is an upcoming fashion designer whose work is dedicated to traditional African wear with today’s style. This Dashiki tunic is great for any weather and it is UNISEX so, ladies, do not hesitate to buy one. 

This crop top is definitely useful to spread the word on the injustices of blacks around the world. Wear it with skirts, high-waist jeans or if you want to be care-free and show off your belly this is the crop top to do it in. You can find this and more powerful shirts on Blvck Nostalgia’s website for shirts under $20.

What is so cool about Dashiki shirts is that they are big and long enough to wear as a dress! You can style Dashikis with jeans, joggers, heels, jewelry or whatever your mood is for that day. 

These Tanzania woven handbags are perfect for everyone and every event. They can be worn to the beach, to the park or a day out with friends. They are so spacious that you can practically carry your life in there. 

I attend DePauw University, class of 2017. I am carefree black girl who is not afraid to express her opinion. I love to travel and I hope to travel and learn about the world some day.
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.