This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As students, we tend to get caught up in the everyday hustle and bustle of life in college. We stress about exams, we complain about studying, and we often forget how much we have to be thankful for. Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I think we should all take a minute to realize how lucky we are and how great our lives can be.

A way that I like to show thanks is by expressing positivity to those around me. Say hello to the people you pass or give your friend a compliment. Little things like that can make someone’s day, and they help people realize that there are things to be happy about and thankful for. Everyone is different. Everyone has different experiences and different knowledge, so we all have our own unique things to be thankful for. So over this Thanksgiving Break, take some time and reflect on who or what is in your life that makes you happy. Think about who or what you are appreciative of.

For me personally, I’m going to make the most of my time off by spending it with my family, the people who have helped get me to where I am today. Spending time with family allows me to realize how lucky I am to have them in my life. I love being able to spend the holidays with the people who make me the happiest. Over this Thanksgiving, try to do something nice for someone else. Show them how important they are to you, even if it’s something little like helping your parents with the dishes or spending some time with your sibling. You could reach out and make plans with a friend that you haven’t seen in a while. Maybe help cook some of the Thanksgiving dinner. Sometimes it’s more about the effort than the action itself. And it doesn’t take a lot to spread some positivity.

Whether you have a traditional Thanksgiving or not, we all have something in our lives that we should be thankful for. Sometimes, it’s the little things that can mean the most to us. I know it’s easy to get caught up in our busy lives, which is why Thanksgiving Break is the perfect time to take a moment and be appreciative. It’s also a great time to remind us of how lucky we are to be ourselves. Just take a minute and close your eyes. Think of who or what is important to you. Now think about how you can show your appreciation. Try to take some time off from stressing and worrying and get into the holiday spirit! Happy Thanksgiving! 

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.