Another One of Those ‘Penis Versus Vagina’ Debates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I’m not saying I don’t hate Trump, I’m not saying I love Hilary, I’m saying we didn’t get a wide variety of people to choose from. If you voted, did it count? If you didn’t, should you be forced to hide your opinion? I am in no way an economics or political science expert, but if I’m not mistaken, the Electoral College gets the final say. Usually the way it goes is that the people vote for whom they think is the lesser of the two evils, and in voicing that opinion, the public is lead to believe they have the power to influence the final outcome. Usually the person with the popular vote doesn’t get the Electoral College’s vote. But again, what do I know? I’ve been on the side of hating Trump and on the side of not giving a damn because ultimately it’s out of my control. I’m deciding to feel empowered by this situation. All the misogynistic things he says about women, other men agree with, whether or not they want to say it to our face, they say it to their friends. I choose to speak louder when someone tells me to be quiet, I choose to have the opinion some people wish to deny me and I choose to prove these men wrong. Trump exposed America for what it truly is, and that is a blessing in disguise. He let us know which people are going to be there for us, and which people are lying to us for self-gain. Now people know better than ever who their true friends are, and who are the snakes. I’m not saying every Trump supporter agrees with every point Trump makes, maybe they honestly believe his business mentality will help America. After all, he’s got the money to try. But people are saying we are overreacting because it’s just another white man in office as if were not already used to that, as if were not already used to discrimination, police brutality and sexual harassment. These issues have always been there. He let us know which people advocate those things; he let us know which people we should eliminate from our lives. But you can’t eliminate the majority of a nation; you have to coexist with some civility. And that starts with self-education.

Are we overreacting and expecting the worst because we have no idea what’s going to happen? Possibly. But we do that with every President. We fear Trump the most because he exposed the truth that America has been trying to sweep under the rug since our forefathers, we fear the power of hatred that follows him. This is America, whether or not you believe it is great, this is what it is. It is predominantly white, it is predominantly male and people falling under both of these categories are predominantly wealthier with the privilege to not really be affected by this outcome. It’s egotistical America running on testosterone. Does this mentality remind us of anything or anyone we know in our past? Does it remind us of white male America that has been oppressing women for years and hanging people by their necks? Does it remind us of a man who turned millions of people against a targeted group of people? Now does it sound like we are moving forward as a nation?

We can pinpoint all the problems that we want because God knows they are endless. But the real question remains: where do we go from here? We have a habit of complaining about the problems we face, but what would happen if we put that same amount of energy into coming up with solutions? Being productive is not the same as being proactive. Maybe that’s what we should focus on, because it’s pointless to dwell on the things we cannot change. We have to accept what has happened because it did in fact already happen, and we have to adjust to our environment and figure out how to live in it because it’s survival of the most adaptable here. There are a number of solutions to reformation; I believe it starts with not just one, not just two, but a large group of people standing together for something they believe in. Boycotting policies you don’t believe in because you want them to change for you, and not change for them. Boycotting busses economically affected the people in power, which got their attention because money talks, and talk is cheap.         Peacefully uniting against the things we can change is all we can do.

It is no fun sitting outside of history removed from the situation, a critic on the sidelines commenting on what everyone else is doing wrong when you yourself are not even involved. Lets say I’m wrong and Trump changes the economy and creates more jobs. What types of people are going to get those jobs? How long will it take for Trump to personally affect you to the point where you decide you have to be involved? No one truly cares for other people’s problems until you are personally attacked, then you suddenly feel the need to defend yourself and make a change. You say I’m wrong and he’ll do great things… But what if I’m right? What if he does change it for the worst? Are we prepared for it? We are truly alone as individuals and fighting for our rights together is the only thing to grab the rich man’s attention. No one else will fight for you. how do you respond? Again, I don’t support what he stands for, but lets not be naïve to the facts of the consequences presented thus far. Trump exposed the truth, and now it’s our time to respond. Ultimately only time will tell if America made the right call.

But if you do stand for everything Trump believes in, tell me what it means when a man is threatened by the strength, competence and independence of a woman? What future is there for a generation of young millennial women who are getting told that their opinions don’t matter, and that every time they feel emotion, it’s due to their menstrual cycle, menopause, or mental breakdowns? Notice how the three things men use as collateral against the ‘level headedness’ of a woman, all begin with men. Please tell me, what great policies have been proposed to help me, and please tell me how I will be affected as a Latin woman in America. Convince me I’m wrong and that all is right in the world.

I’m asking the men in power to use that power to fight for the people who are literally dying to fight for themselves. What does is it mean for man’s future daughters when they exert the rights to their own body, and find out no one is really doing anything to protect them, including their fathers. What happens when her boyfriend tells her “I’m happy Trump is in office, he’s a great businessman, he’s better than Hilary and he’s smart?” What does it mean when he tells her, women should already expect to lose against a man women should expect to get cat calls when they dress provocatively? What does it mean for her when this boy tells her he’ll “start grabbing women by the pussy,” even if it is just to display sarcasm? Is that mature or ignorant?

What does it mean for your daughter when this boy tells her he can’t stand to argue with his bitch about shit that doesn’t matter, because he has deemed what is important to her, as being unimportant to him? What happens when he tells her there’s no way either of them could make a difference in their society? Are we going to continue to raise our children to believe there’s nothing left to even fight for? What does it mean for her when he tells her “pussy doesn’t run the world, money does?” He uses this specific terminology on her because he was raised to believe it was correct, appropriate and funny. What does it mean for your daughter when she gets drugged after a night out with friends and wakes up with scratches and bruises and blood? Are you going to tell her, “Hey its life it happens, you shouldn’t have been drinking?” Or are you going to tell her “I wish the world wasn’t so cruel, I’m sorry you had to go through this and I will do everything in my power to make a change for the people I care about?” And where does that change begin? By acknowledging that there is a problem worth solving. Do not speak for women, but support them when they speak, as opposed to silencing them.

What does it mean for your daughter if she accidentally gets pregnant and can’t seek medical attention because it’s either illegal or too expensive? What will you tell her when she asks you about the difference between men and women and how they are treated in this world? Are you going to tell her place in it, or will she be allowed to decide for herself? What does it mean for your mother and sister? Would you demean their value as human beings by implying you’re glad a woman doesn’t have power in this world? Who are men to speak on the execution of female contraceptives when they do not know what it is to be a woman and have female reproductive parts? Women have to take most of the precaution while men only have to wear a rubber. If you can buy Trojan at the store no problem, and never run the risk of bearing a child because its physically impossible, why shouldn’t the women who are at constant risk be insured and covered? In the end doesn’t it help you to help others? Why should the girl that got gang-raped in the alley outside of a Chicago burger king be forced to have a child she never asked for?

Am I saying all these things will come to pass because of our new president? No, because these things already exist in our world: Rape, racism, sexism, bigotry, discrimination, economical hierarchy, homophobia, etc. They already exist. Trump didn’t make it happen, he exposed it. Are we overreacting and Trump will actually make valuable changes for all? Or are we going to get exactly what we feared because of the ignorance that was validated and provoked by a wealthy white man? You tell me what self-respecting woman openly allows you to call her a bitch actually sees no problem with it? What kind of value do you think that woman has attributed to herself, and even further, what kind of value will she represent if she’s representing you? Think of the women in your life at the very least if you don’t care for other marginalized groups. Maybe Trump will bring peace; maybe he’ll bring war. No matter the outcome, America needs educated people in power to fight for what is right.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.