10 Movies You Can’t Miss This Halloween

Social distancing has made this year’s Halloween look entirely different from past years. However, it has also made it possible for us to stay at home and catch up on some Halloween movie classics and favorites. Here are the ten movies you can’t miss this year.

1. Halloweentown (1998)

This may not be a classic for every generation, but this one definitely is for ours. In the first film of the franchise, Marnie discovers she’s a witch, and along with her siblings, sneaks into her grandmother’s hidden world. Halloweentown is the home to all types of mythical creatures, where they are able to live together in harmony away from the human world. This movie makes you wish Halloweentown was a real place that you could go visit.

2. Twitches (2005)

The outfits, the spellcasting, and the sisterhood is what makes this movie a must-see during this time of year. Twin sisters Alex and Cam become reunited on their 21st birthday, and discover they were separated at birth and adopted by other families. The plot thickens when they discover their magical powers, and must save their birth mother and homeland from the darkness. If Twitches just isn’t enough, you could also watch the sequel, Twitches Too, which was released in 2007. If only we all had a long lost twin sister and magical powers.

3. Scream (1996)

A 90's horror necessity. The first film of the franchise follows high school student Sidney Prescott as she battles Ghostface, a masked murderer who is killing off her classmates. At the same time, she is also still grieving for her mother as it’s the first anniversary of her murder. She is helped by her best friend, Tatum Riley, Tatum’s brother Deputy Dewey Riley, and boyfriend, Billy Loomis along the way. However, at the same time, she is being pursued by hungry journalist Gale Weathers. The Scream franchise in the ultimate whodunit series.

4. Jaws (1975)

The movie that sparked a fear of water and sharks for so many generations of audiences. The most successful movie of the franchise sees Police Chief Martin Brody, shark hunter Quint, and marine biologist Matt Hooper go on the hunt for a great white shark that is killing residents and tourists on Amity Island. The movie leaves us with the notion that we truly don’t know what’s lurking and waiting for us in the ocean.

5. Coraline (2009)

How can you not love Coraline? The quirky animation with whimsical characters makes this movie a Halloween favorite. Coraline is an eleven-year-old girl who is unhappy in her new home at the Pink Palace Apartments. She feels her mother and father don’t give her enough attention as they’re always working. However, one day she finds a small door which during the day leads only to a brick wall, but at night leads to an entirely new world. In this new world, she finds her 'other' mother and father that give her all the attention she wants, but what separates them from her real parents is that they have buttons for eyes. Buttons will never look the same to you ever again.

6. Psycho (1960)

Even if you’ve never seen this movie before, you’ve heard of the famous shower scene. This is a horror movie classic for sure, and was directed by “the master of suspense” Alfred Hitchcock. Secretary Marion Crane goes on the run to meet her boyfriend, when she steals money from her employer. After sleeping one night on the side of the road and being questioned by a police officer, she decides staying at a motel to sleep would be less conspicuous. She stays at the Bates Motel and meets Norman Bates, who is the proprietor with an odd relationship with his mother. You might want to reconsider staying at a motel off the highway after watching this movie.

7. Ghostbusters (1984)

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! This classic 80's comedy is a hard to resist movie during this time of year. It’s funny and you see Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson save New York City from ghosts. And remember to call Ghostbusters, because they’re always there to serve all of your supernatural elimination needs.

8. Get Out (2017)

The movie that made Jordan Peele a respected horror movie director and screenplay writer. Photographer Chris Washington is nervous about meeting his white girlfriend’s parents for the first time. He writes off her family’s odd behaviors around him as their discomfort with their daughter being in an interracial relationship. However, this is far from the truth. The sunken place has never been a more terrifying place for you after watching this film.

9. Us (2019)

Jordan Peele does it again with this horror film. Adelaide Wilson comes back to her childhood home along with her husband, daughter, and son. Years before when she was as a child, she had a traumatic experience in a house of mirrors at a pier on the beach. Adelaide feels uneasy and wants to leave when her entire family’s doppelgängers come to wreak havoc on their lives. The ending will leave you speechless.

10. Halloween (1978)

Who can resist a classic like Halloween? Michael Meyers breaks out of his psychiatric hospital that he was put in when he was a six-year-old for murdering his older sister. He comes back to his hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois to wreak havoc once again and targets Laurie Strode and her friends. Jamie Lee Curtis reprised her role as Laurie Strode in 2018 in the sequel of the same name. A third movie is coming out in 2021 and another movie is planned for 2022. This movie will have you rethinking, is there really a boogeyman?

There you go. The ten movies you can’t miss this Halloween. Take advantage of the extra time we have inside and have a scary or classic movie marathon. I hope you enjoy these movies and have a fun Halloween!